Chapter Forty-Three: Family Portrait

"I ran away today, ran from the noise, ran away (Ran away)

Don't wanna go back to that place, but don't have no choice, no way
It ain't easy growing up in World War III
Never knowing what love could be
Well I've seen
I don't want love to destroy me like it did my family

Can we work it out? (Can we work it?) Can we be a family?
I promise I'll be better, Mommy I'll do anything
(I promise I'll do anything to keep you there)
Can we work it out? Can we be a family?
I promise I'll be better (I promise, I promise), Daddy please don't leave."

-P!nk (Family Portrait)

Kae:

"Sabien?"

I looked at the woman I was standing in front of and really looked at her. Her skin was a bit lighter than mine but still brown and golden. Her dark hair had a loose-like curl pattern such as mine but was currently tied back into a ponytail. Her face was heart-shaped and pointed at the chin, with a dainty nose, her lips were full and I looked towards her eyes and noted they were the same as mine; why I hadn't noticed it before was beyond me, but now standing and really observing her the resemblance was there.

"How do you know my name?" She asked looking a bit panicked by my revelation.

I sighed and let her go, she watched as I slid the mask down my face, fully revealing myself.

"Because I'm Riny," I replied to her.

Her eyes widened with shock as if she couldn't believe what she was hearing. She pointed to me. "You... you're Dr. Riny Francisque?" She asked me with shaky hands.

I nodded, "Well...I'm taking a break from being a doctor right now." I said backing up a bit from her. Sabien didn't look so scared, instead opting to approach me with a wide smile and outstretched hands.

"Come here! It's so good to finally meet you, Riny! She said engulfing my body into a hug.

I felt pretty awkward right now by the display of affection especially under these circumstances, but I still patted her back in an effort to show some sort of comfort. I had always imagined what it would be like to finally meet my blood sister again and somehow being an ex-militant grabbing and pulling her into a dark corner to question her, wasn't on the list on how I pictured it happening.

Or that she'd have a southern accent.

She finally let me go and grabbed my face to fully look at me, she was about an inch shorter than I was. Her long eyelashes batted against her light and sun-filled eyes as she continued admiring me. "Wow, I thought for sure I had hit a dead-end when the receptionist told me you didn't work there anymore." She said. I took her hands and slightly pulled her off of me, it was a little weird having her touch me so openly after just meeting her, I don't know if she was just like that, but I only ever started hugging once I had formed an emotional connection with someone.

"Technically, I do not work there anymore. So, the receptionist wasn't lying." I said.

Sabien smiled brightly. "What are the odds you would show up the day I come asking for you?"

1 in 3 actually since the receptionist did mention this was her third time coming in there asking for me. But I didn't say that, "Yeah crazy how life works." I said shoving my hand into my pockets.

Sabien cleared her throat looking around lightly, "So do you usually just grab people in dark areas of parking lots.... you're not robbing people, right?" She questioned me curiously as she took in my attire. I wasn't dressed suspiciously, but that was the point of the training I received. I was actually pretty heavily armed right now with two firearms, knives, and devices to detain someone if I really needed to. If all that failed I always had my hands to finish the job.