ex friend?

Rhea's POV

Will I loose him too? Why was he not bothered when Di said to get us married? Is he having some feelings for me?

Someone nudged my shoulder and I straightened up to find my boss glaring at me," if you done zoning out, we can finish this assignment," every eye in the room was now on me.

I muttered a quick sorry before getting back to my work, work load has been huge since my little vacation for Di's delivery and my mind was not cooperating with me.

It was time to go home and I started packing my stuff in my bag when the phone rang," Rhea, come to my office," my boss ordered.

I gulped at his voice and rushed to his cabin. I am so screwed. I went into his room where he was speaking to someone on the phone, he motioned me to sit.

I took my seat when he turned to face me with a hard look on his face, "Are you focused?" He asked coming to the point.

"I am trying to be focused sir," I muttered.

"But it doesn't looks like being focused to me. I don't know what's happening in your life but you need to get your things together, I don't want any of your distractions to screw up with this project," he barked.

"I understand sir, I am sorry for today, I will try to work precisely and I promise that I won't cause any damage to the project," I reasoned with him.

"It's not only because of today, you have been like this since you came from that leave you took, I want the Rhea who gave the presentation, who impressed the clients, do you understand?" He asked again.

Tears threatened to spill from my eyes but I blinked them away, I had enough bad name here and I don't want him to think that I am a baby for crying now,"Yes sir," I nodded

"You are excused," he started resuming his work again. I stood up and walked to my cabin, I dumped all the things in my bag and left for home.

I am done for today

I carefully parked my scooty and walked to my home trying grab my keys from the bag, bam, I bumped into someone, I raised my head to see the person and when I did everything stilled.

What is he doing here?

He was standing there in all his glory, for whom I went from being the most important person to ignore-the-stranger kind.

It was the result of your doing

My inner self mocked me, before I can counter it, he smiled showing his only dimple on the left cheek, his features improved over years, his ruffled hair was now neatly gelled and his patchy beard was now replaced with a full grown one. My mind took me back to the time when we met.

"Why are you like this?" Abhay asked looking at me like he is trying to figure me out.

"Like what?"

" Stubborn, silent, always to yourself, not opening up," he shrugged stating the facts.

"What do you mean why, I have always been like this from my childhood," I explained.

"We can always change that," he grinned.

"Are you challenging me Mr. Abhay?" I asked raising an eyebrow.

"I am just stating the fact," he shrugged.

"Fine then, let's see if you can change me," I put my hand in front of his.

He took my hand and gave it a shook,"deal."

"Hello Rhea," he brought me back waving in my face. I smiled, what should I say now, may be I should invite him inside, ok let's do that thing.

"Umm...hi..." I squealed, I internally smacked myself before clearing my throat," uh., Come in," I opened the door and invited him.

He came inside sitting on the sofa, I went inside the kitchen to bring him some water, he thanked me and drank the water.

I stood there waiting for him to speak, as if reading my mind he shuffled before taking out a card from his bag and handing me.

My eyes widened as I took in the contents of the card, it was his wedding invitation, I quickly masked my shock before smiling," congratulations."

"Thanks," he smiled back.

Talk something before this gets awkward.

"How did you find me?" I cringed as I asked him the question. Not that he was any stalker but it was a long time since we talked.

He chuckled," one of our college friends, Sejal, she knew it from Preeti, so.." he left it in the air.

Preeti!!!

"How did you guys meet?" I asked looking at the invitation, implying to his bride.

"We both work in the same office, we met when she joined in our office as an intern," he explained.

It would have been you

' stop that ' I warned my brain or heart or wherever it was coming from. I know what I did and I don't need a remainder.

He stood up ," I still need to give the cards to others, I will take my leave," he walked to my door, " don't forget to come."

"Sure, I will," why did I say that, I don't want to go to some college mates wedding and it would be like a reunion and I will be needed to meet people who are the ones I am trying to stay away from.

He was already gone when I was back from my thoughts. My mind again revised me of the day we left.

"Why do you care?" I shouted at him.

"Why can't I care?" He twisted my question increasing my anger.

"I want no one to take care of me, I can do it myself and don't waste your time in doing that," I warned him. His face turned pale as I spoke.

"Fine then, bye," he walked away not even waiting for my reply.

I still remember that day vividly, I had no intention of hurting him. But it had to be done.

Can my day get any worse, probably no, I heard my phone was buzzing on the table.

Vikram

Why is he calling me? Things have been so awkward lately and I missed old times when we would just hang out together, "Hello," I said in a monotonous tone, I had no strength in dealing with any more shit.

"What happened?" He asked, I groaned, why does he need answer for everything!

"Nothing," I fell on my bed curling in the bedsheets.

"Did something happen at the office?" He asked again, my patience has ran out now.

"Why do you need answer for everything? It's not like I owe you something or we have something going on between us, even if something happened, I don't want to talk about it," I shouted in the phone.

I cut the call not wanting to talk more and threw the phone away somewhere in the bed. The only thing that can calm me now is my sleep.

~~~~~

It might be confusing but please wait for next chapters it will make sense.

Okay so I still don't know if this is how the story should be going but this is all I got:)

I got my second dose of vaccine today, so I need some rest, will post next chapter tomorrow 🤓