Chapter 13: Win Streak

The arrogant kid exited in thin air from the event's atrium filled with noise from the crowd. He went to the nearest alley after seeing Markus' happy face of victory from afar and was filled with a heavy heart. He walked fast and felt self-conscious, looking left and right at every step he takes. He always looked around to see if someone is following him.

"Hey kid!" a voice called from nowhere.

The moment he heard those words, the hairs on his nape grew. He hesitantly turned around. He knew he was in trouble when he saw a silhouette sitting on top of a garbage bin, staring daggers at him. He took a step back and reached the alley wall with his heart beating fast. He tried to grab something but nothing came to his hand.

The 6-foot tall man wearing a hoodie jumped from the bin and waved his hand and said, "Yahoo~."

Kirk knew he needs to come forward but his fear kept him from walking. Even so, he hesitantly did, looking down.

"What was that all 'bout, boy?" the man grabbed his collar and raised the teen, making the scared kid hang his feet. "Weren't you suppose to win that round and move onto the next one so we can set foot on ORION, huh?!"

"I'm so sorry, sir." Kirk's voice fumbled. "I was surprised that that kid had won the Round one and..."

"No, you're not sorry." the man let go of his collar and threw him to the ground, standing beside the trembling teen. "You're supposed to pay your debt."

"I know..."

"Unless you want to go to jail."

"I'm really sorry, Sir." Kirk looked him in the eye. "I know if not because of you, the cops could have gotten me and my friends could have ended up in jail."

"Glad you know that."

"I swear I'll be useful next time."

"Ahh, we'll work your ass out."

...

The next game was held in the same place after two weeks. This time, all the winners of round one from the different parts of the city gathered in one place.

In Round Two, the Arena was set on a Jungle.

Arcane Phantom was summoned on a circle surrounded by magical rocks(encrypted rocks) that were scattered throughout the arena.

Tall trees dance in their canopy, crickets and other insects singing covertly cold air and wet humidity kiss the skin of every player who entered the arena.

"This place is magical." AP exclaimed. He hurried to hide behind a tree root and sat down. "I can't believe they still have data on what a forest, or a jungle, looks like when the earth is still not like today. They have put much attention to this detail. I can't believe they've researched this much. I can't find it though in all the books I found in the library." he picked up a beetle that crawled under his feet and stared at it with curious eyes. "I never knew I would experience this stuff once in my lifetime, really. And I guess I have said that before as well." he laughed under his breath and put the beetle back to the tree trunk.

"Anyways," he swiped his hand in the air and a holographic monitor appeared. "Where am I, Minz?"

The program showed him the map and blinked a red dot indicating his location.

"Ohh, south-west, huh," he muttered. He scanned his stats and clicked on the equipment he needed for the fight. "I guess I don't have to change my skin this time. This guy's appearance fits in a jungle. I'm a Wight, that's it."

.....

"Oh look that's him!" Cassandra exclaimed. She sat on a bleacher carrying a box of sandwiches with Dave who's having a great time finishing his popcorn.