Chapter 18: Good Friends

Markus became anti-social after that incident in ORION. He hardly talks to his mom and his friends since then. Cassandra and Dave were told by his mom about what happened to him but she never disclosed the information about the hacking incident.

The children tried to reach out, to comfort him but, Markus is still not opening himself to anyone.

"Good thing he has good friends like you, Cassy, Dave." Charlotte said to them, patting their heads.

The two were helping Charlotte in preparing lunch. It was a gloomy afternoon.

"Ahh, he is so lucky to have us, Aunt Charlie." Cassandra replied. She passed a bowl of potatoes to Dave.

"We'll do our best to help Marky out, Auntie. Besides, the trio won't be the same if he's not in it. "

"Ahh, we'll definitely stay friends no matter what happens. It's a sink or swim for the three of us." Cassy added.

"You've just said the same thing.." Dave pouted.

"It will be meaningless to lose him. Besides, we don't want replacements..." Cassy continues neglecting Dave's comment. She eyed Dave as if saying <I've said it in a more literary form. I won> and gave him a grin.

"It's nice for him to have friends like you two, then, I'll leave my son to your care..." Charlie poured the sauce on the pasta and readied the table.

"Hai, leave it to us!" they said in unison. They sat around the table and Charlie went to get her son.

.....

The morning after Reiko visited Charlie's House, Charlotte saw Ned waiting in front of his shop for her.

"Hey, Charlie!" Ned waved his hand when their eyes met.

She went across the street and tossed a bottle of beer to her old friend.

"How's Marky?" Ned asked.

"Still asleep."

"I've heard about the incident."

"It was a big mistake." Charlotte threw herself on the shop's couch and sulked. "I was a big mistake."

"Don't say that bullshit, Charlotte." Ned said in worry. He knew she's blamed herself for what happened.

"But, that won't happen if I have raised my son properly. If I won't have to raise him alone, if--"

Ned slapped her and she stared at him with blank eyes.

"You raised your son alone for 11 whole years. Reared him since infancy, ALONE. No one is allowed to criticize a mother like you. So, stop blaming yourself." Ned said.

"Then who should I blame? Huh?!" Charlie's eyes are filled with rage and regret "It was not my son's fault. It can never be. He's just a kid and now he's suffering like the whole world is against him. Yes, he had committed a crime but that was because I was not there when he needed me the most. I am to blame, Ned."

"If you want someone to blame, blame me."

"Why you?!" Charlotte angrily replied. "If it's you, then what did that man did, huh?! He almost hit my son on his face. He even barged into my house last night and talked nonsense. I hate that guy."

"He finally saw Markus?"

"The kid was asleep though. But, the nerve--"

"Charlie, I never got the chance to say this but--" Ned turned the bottle around his palms. "--I was the one who taught him how to hack."

"WHAT?!"

"At first it was just random cheat codes we're discussing and after a few weeks, he asked for my college books and then he started to study them," Ned explained.