Chapter 29: Let's Play

They felt their phone vibrate from their pockets and their hairs stood from their napes. A cold wind blew past the tall buildings making the plants dance on their beat. Sirenes kept wailing far and near and buildings ringing their alarms fuel their anxiousness.

Then and there, Cassandra shouted as she saw a man unconsciously stood up with straight limbs and tightened jaw. He struggled on his feet and reached his hand towards the kids walking like a marionette. A moment before, he was just lying on the ground, helplessly unconscious, but now, he and four other people stood up picking a weapon they came across as they came forward to Markus' direction.

The man who first stood up who was wearing a hat picked meter-long steel, debris from a signpost bumped by a pizza delivery truck as he approached Markus with an intent to kill.

"I can see it on his eyes, Marky, we need to get out from here. He's aiming for you." Cassandra exclaimed, holding on to his sleeve.

"What, why?" Markus said confusingly.

They slowly stepped back.

"Ahh... I agree, Marky... they're trying to kill us. Whoever is controlling these people knows who we are and what we are up to. We need to move a step ahead or were dead." Dave anxiously said.

"Then, we've got to run," Markus exclaimed. "But now, we have to do it faster."

"And there's another -ER..." Dave rolled his eyes.

As soon as they started moving, the undead followed. They were like zombies controlled by someone but are moving human-like than normal zombies were. Markus took a turn on the nearest alley and stumbled on the way through. The one with a tiger beanie Hat caught them and hit Dave with his steel and caught his left foot.

"Ahh!" Dave shouted and grabbed his hurt foot.

"You bastard!" Markus picked an empty beer bottle and smashed it on the Hat that hit Dave. The bottle broke on his head causing it to bleed but he's seemed not hurt. He faced Markus and aimed for him immediately. Cassandra grabbed the two on their wrists and dragged them away.

"We need to get out of here, the others were coming!" Cassandra said trembling.

They saw on the other side of the alley, the four other people who woke with the Hat bringing weapon for themselves. The others brought a piece of iron sheet, a broken glass, a slipper, and a car wiper.

They started running and went out of the alley. They run across the street and took shelter in the bakery nearby and went inside.

"They're after us... what now?" Cassandra asked, catching her breath.

"I don't know... but we can figure things out if we have enough information about what is happening," Markus answered. "Besides, fighting them is useless. We can't brush them off"

"That's near to impossible, Marky." Dave said "..with those people after us? We can't find an easy way to get out of this. I bet there were still others aside from them who were trying to---" He took a deep breath. "--kill us."

"But why target us?" Cassandra Asked.

"It's because of Markus..." Dave answered. "And the fact that we're not down unlike the others."

"Are you insane, Dave? Why woul-" Cassandra said

"Ahh... it might be my fault. I said it a while ago, right? I have told you that I was after the Hacker. He knows what I'm up to and he's trying to slow me down if not stop me." Markus scanned the area looking for cameras and he found one at the top of the traffic light, focusing on their direction. "I'm sorry for dragging you into this situation." Markus said, "...I promise to get you out of here."