Chapter 33: Cookies and Screams

"Run faster, Dave!" Cassandra shouted at Dave who's running away desperately from an Android behind her. Her Bob-cut hair flies side to side as they try to outrun their pursuers who're intensely following them with things on their hand. Her legs are getting stiff from all the running they've done that she felt like stumbling in every step. Her back is sore and her arms are bruised, throbbing.

"YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I HATE ANY WORD THAT ENDS IN -ER!!" Dave complained. His roller shield got ripped by an Android from his arm, leaving a cut on it and loosen its adhesive. His breathing is heavy as if his lungs had gone a cardio exercise for a whole day. His vision became blurry that instead of hitting his enemy on the neck, he hit the hair instead. "This kind of running without sleep and a modest meal will really slow me down, you know? I wish I had brought more cookies!" he gasped for air.

"Stop screaming, Dave!! You're giving out our position!" Sandra climbed up an old white van, trying to escape from the Android who's trying to catch her. "You're the only one talking so loudly in this dark night sky!" she kicked its forehead and it stumbled to the ground, dragging another android on its back.

"Why are you mad at me?!" Dave complained and dodged the swing of a palm tree. "Where did he even get this plant?!" he exclaimed, quite confused.

"Get off me!" Sandra kicked another Android's face and she fell to the ground again. "I told you to be quite Dave! They'll keep following us if you're always shouting complaints! You're like an angry customer in front of a resto counter. And I bet that palm tree is from a pot from the hotel entrance down the street." she frowned.

"But Cassy!" Dave whined. He stood up from strangling the Android with the palm tree. He ran atop a delivery truck and whacked every head that pops up to him from where he stood.

"And for the record, I've taken down more Androids than you did." Cassandra got down from the van and started walking towards the crossing.

"Hey! Wait for me!" Dave mumbled. He followed Cassandra while looking out for an enemy. He's shaking his hands to ward off the strain. "And for your information, I'm the one holding those Androids from the rear, you know. Would you mind being grateful for a while?" he walked in front of his friend, trying to convince her.

"Huh?!!" Cassandra sarcastically responded, she faced him with a smirk. "...ja, thanks for the effort, Master Dave. As if I'm not doing the protecting stuff here?" Cassandra added as she poked his head using the stick she picked from the ground.

"Ouch!... what was that for?" he hopped back and glared but Cassandra looked at him more meanly. He swallowed his pride and looked away. "... My bad, my bad." they started to move again. "But, you know,, aren't we going through a long route, Cass?" Dave asked.

"It's the safest route, I think."

"But, I was impressed. We just came from Zone 4 with Markus and now we're almost near Zone 7," Dave said.

"Thank an Android for not locking his bike on the parking that we were able to use it up to here." Cassandra looked around for possible danger. "Too bad the wheels gave up when we crossed the 6th's border."

"But that was a great ride." Dave dribbled a tennis ball he picked on the road. "Considering the two of us are riding it."

"Well, I was the one who did the pedaling though." Cassandra pouted.

"You were more athletic to begin with." Dave said while stepping away from his friend. "And I was not that heavy. I was just standing behind you." he pouted.

"Yeah right..." Cassandra said ironically. "Anyway, the green lights are on sight. That just means we're clearly nearing Zone 11."

"Once we're there, I hope those Androids will not be on sight." Dave mumbled.