Chapter 26: In Search of

After their wounds were treated, the three decided to get away from the school and take a breather.

"Where should we go?" Dave said throwing his arms in the air for a stretch. They walked towards the gate all feeling gloomy but he chose to cheer them up.

"Dunno." Cassandra looked at the exploded building. "Anywhere away from here. I just--," her hands are shaking.

Markus grabbed her hand and looked her in the eyes.

"What if another building explodes?!" She said in a whisper, looking on her feet.

"That won't happen again." Markus said and smiled at her. When he felt that she had calmed down, he checked his phone for possible updates. "The police is around the area and they've already locked down the perimeter. We should be safe for now."

"You heard that?" Dave intentionally bumped on Cassandra's shoulder. "So, stop worrying, Cass." he looked around carefreely, "Anyways, where should we go?"

The fog slowly lifting from their faces.

"Let's just go that same place," Markus suggested. The two exchanged looks and agreed to go to their fave café at the back entrance of the Sea Mall.

They walked straight to the subway and took the train going to Zone 10, where the SeaMall is.

The salty sea breeze welcomed them as they set foot on the mall grounds fronting the huge entrance. They went straight to the cafe at the back of the mall facing the green sea, taking the long way around the mall itself. Cassandra went straight to the counter to order and the two waited outside, sitting around a coffee table shaded with a solar parabola floating above them.

"Ahh, this place feels relaxing," Dave muttered with a weird smile.

"I agree." Markus dropped himself on a chair and took a sigh.

"This is where we eat those victory cakes back when you've started playing ROA, right?" Dave said.

"We come to this café ever since."

"Anyway, that was one of an insane lunch break," Dave said as he laid his upper body on top of the table as if he was diving on his bed, sighing. "My heart is still racing from what happened back at school." he looked at the two and said, "You sure you're alright, Marky?" he asked. A part of his forehead just above his eyebrow was patched with a gauze.

"We won't get out from school if we were not okay, Dave. Stop being a worrywart." Cassandra muttered as she approached their table. She slightly touched her scarred leg and sat on the empty chair. "And don't take all the space on the table." she brushed her friend away.

"But--" Dave complained, but he complied and sat properly.

"Cassy's right, Davey. We're both fine and I'm glad you too." Markus said as he scanned the book he picked up from the library floor.

They didn't saw him complain about the wounds on his back, it kinda made them uneasy.

"Ne, Marky, what was that you're reading? You kept on holding that book since we got out from the library." Cassandra said. "Don't tell me you're using that to do something bad again."

"Nothing of that sort, Cassy. Believe me. Look." Markus replied and showed them the 5by12by10 inch book.

INTRODUCTION TO LINEAR ALGEBRA

Bon Garson and Gliu Tan

©1966

"Linear Algebra?" Dave asked " Not to mention it was dated before the great Fall. Isn't that an ancient artifact?!"