Chapter 14: When Luck's on Your Side

"Zone 11 won again." the man from before said to his friend. He laid his back on the bleacher wearing a dissatisfied look on his face.

"I told you it was because of that kid." his friend replied blankly. "We shouldn't have laughed at him for having a cocky name." he and his friend exchanged looks. "Remember how he escaped from that pinch?!" he asked.

"I still don't recognize that kid as a winner. I bet the other Zone members did much better than him to keep their spot for the next round." the two strangers stood and left the atrium to go somewhere.

Dave and Cassandra still heard their conversation but now, they were not feeling irritated. They knew that Markus has proven himself during that game.

"You're definitely on a different level, my friend!" Dave said when Markus exited the atrium after the announcement of winners. He wore a cheerful smile like a very proud kid.

"My friend? You're weird today Dave, are you sick?" Markus asked. His brows meet.

"Of course, I am very well, well enough to eat more cakes!" Dave bounced in glee. "Where are we going?!" his eyes glimmer with spark.

"So you came with Marky to eat a cake..." Cassandra said and glared at his friend. "Fiend." she blurted and hit the kid.

"Of course not! , It's just, I don't want Cassy to eat all the sweets that Marky will buy, you know." Dave complained, avoiding Cassy's strike. He went behind Markus and massaged his shoulders.

"Hey, Davey, that tickles..." Markus tried very hard to move away from Dave's fingers.

"That's rude,, Davey.." she dragged Dave away from Markus. "Stop acting like a kid, we're causing trouble in front of many people, idiots." Cassandra nagged.

"Sorry." Dave escaped from her grip and stood like nothing happened.

"Ma,, isn't that okay?" Markus said. "Let's just go grab some cakes! I'm also starving."

The two eyed each other and said, "Haii..." in unison.

"Just so you know, I didn't only came for the sweets." Cassandra bailed.

"I know..." Markus laughed and they went to their favorite café.

.....

"De,..." Dave stabbed his choco-moist cake with a fork. "How did that happen, Markus?" he asked.

"Happen what?" the kid replied. He was shaking his smoothie and took a sip before he met his friends' eyes.

"That win." Cassandra said. "I never thought you'll win in that situation. Aren't you near the explosion site in that arena?"

"Yeah..." Dave sipped his milk tea. " All the people in front and behind us thought you've used some kind of high-end cheat or something. I mean, how could you escape from that pinch without using one?"

"You mean, that time I vanished?" Markus grabbed a handful of chips from their bowl.

"Yeah, that one." Cassandra replied. "At first you were just running with that swordsman and in an instant, you were gone with the explosion. And, the last thing we knew, you're already announced as the winner."

"I was also shocked with what happened, Cass." Markus said. He brushed aside his drink and placed her hands together, like a jury trying to explain himself. "It's all because of Luck."

"Luck?" Dave said. " Who's that?"

"Shut up, Dave." Cassandra threw her hand to grab Dave's lips to shut him down.

"Yeah." Markus never batted an eye. "It's true I was running with that swordsman away from the detonating boss. But, 0.567 second before the blast reached me, I tripped and fell on a hole."