Chapter 4: History is His story

It started when Markus was in 6th grade. He is not much a genius kid, but he's curious lad and a sore loser.

He's a typical kid in a typical household living only with his mom, Charlotte Lockwood, in a town house in Zone 11 of the city of Aurum. Zone 11 is near the edge of the spherical barrier of the city.

"Mom, we're having an assignment about Phagocytosis and its effects on the Hemophilic activity of a radiated body and it needs to be searched in the net. Can I use your PC?" the kid asked. His auburn hair hides his headphones with his curls. His gray eyes looked at his mom with love and care. His thin built and light complexion reflect on their wooden floor. He smiled and said, "I have to print a copy of it afterwards, too." Markus stood behind the door of their kitchen, peeking only on his mom who's cooking dinner.

"Yeah sure..." Charlotte replied. She is an IIP(International Cyber Police) Agent working for classified clients who solves crimes and problems involving cyber systems and cases with the likes. It was commonly known in Aurum as the Bureau. Her auburn hair rests on her shoulders and her thin white face radiate glee as she cook their dinner. She turned around and smiled at her son. "But don't browse folders aside from the search engine, okay?" She said while pointing a spatula on the kid behind the door.

"Hai..." Markus replied and immediately went to her room.

He sat on the super computer and started browsing. Though his mom said not to tinker anything except for the search engine, the kid was quite curious and mischievous.

"I'm sorry mom." the kid whispered. He browsed different platforms and databases using his mom's PC. He was fascinated and was awed by how a super computer works and how much information he can access with one. He smiled and went to browse more.

A few minutes later, his mom called him for dinner.

Markus tend to explore stuffs in the internet with his mom's PC. He even went to install it with games but when his mom saw those games, she immediately deletes them without a word. Having this trouble, Charlotte brought him his own PC. The kid was very happy and went to immediately upgraded his unit.

But most of the upgrades need pay. So he almost stop with everything. He can't get access with high specs programs and games his friends usually have with their PC's.

"If I can just get these stuffs for free, I would be very famous." Markus sulked and buried himself under his bed. "It was that Saesen's Decree's fault. If not bound by the CW(intellectual property) law as stated in the Saesen's Decree. I could have got a copy of those programs." he turned around and stared at the darkness. "I'll just have to find a chance."

At school, he does every single student do in their everyday routine. He's got a small circle of friends and talk about anything. But when they get to the topic about games, he always fell silent. He doesn't have the games that his classmates play and discuss during free time. He can't fit himself in by just playing what he has on his PC, though connected in the internet.

He somehow felt insecure. His mom just wont buy him those games because she argued that PC's are only for educational stuffs that's why he felt distant.

That is why, he always went to Internet shops to play those games with some of his friends and that is the reason why he used to go home late.

"I'm home..." Markus called as he entered their house. He threw his bag on the couch and went straight to the kitchen. His smile was suddenly lifted.

He was only greeted with a blow of scented air freshener from the aircon in the darkened room.

"Not that mom is here." He turned to the switch and turned the lights on. He heated a cup of water and sat on their dinning table, waiting. "Her assignments lasts for 3 days or more that is why she is not at home most of the time. And it usually takes longer when clients have difficult assignments for their department." the kid sighed as he done explaining to himself as he draw circles on the table mat. "I'm just getting my hopes high. Anyway, I have to get a cupped ramen for dinner. I know I still have a few on the cupboard."