Chapter 24: Ironed Out

Markus went straight to his room as soon as he arrived at their house. He closed the door and crawl under his blanket curling in fear, sobbing in distress. He didn't move a bit, wary of anything that might get him out on his safe haven.

A few hours later, his mom arrived from work. She called Markus upstairs, but he didn't respond.

"Marky?... you there? Get down here. I've got some cookies for you." she exclaimed but, the cookies didn't work. She knew he's at home. She saw the shoes on their doorstep and the door wasn't locked when she entered.

The dinner was set and she went upstairs to get Markus and knocked on his door.

"Marky, dinner is ready. Let's go and dig in.." She said softly.

He didn't say a word.

"Marky?" she repeated. When there is still no answer after the second call, she began to worry. She thought something is off.

"Ne, Marky?.. are you alright?" she opened the door and saw the room with no lights on.

"Why didn't you turned the lights on?" she searched for the switch and turned it on. "What's the matter? Are you not feeling well?" she reached her hand on his head covered with the blanket. She uncovered him and saw the pale face of her son. "What happened?" she asked warily. Markus did not answer her question, instead, he dashed and buried himself into his mother's arms.

"Did something happened?" she said to Markus. There is no other reason why Markus would have his panic attack at this moment, she knew he saw the man and she began to get pissed off that guy.

She knew she would have to do something to stop his attacks, if not now, she asked herself when. She then remembered what the doctor said when she asked what she can do to erase the fear her son is having.

"Confront him with the sad reality..." the doctor said as what she remembers. "It's better if he will face his fears, of course, you should be there to assure him that he's not alone."

She knew it will be difficult for Markus, but she can't think of any other way.

"I had no other choice, Marky...I'm sorry but Mom will do a bad thing to you, okay? I hope you'll forgive me for doing this..." she said softly.

She took a deep breath and started raising her voice saying, "Why are you crying, huh, Markus!" she pushed him away, but he held into his mom's hand. "Let go!" she tried to get off with his hand.

Her heart felt like crumbling but she endured it. Her nose started to tingle hot as if her tears are piling on her face.

"....Mom..." he cried. He desperately held on to her arms.

"What are you afraid of? If you won't stop crying, I will definitely send you to that man!" she said meanly and dragged him outside his room. Her tears form in her eyes.

"NO!... Mom, please not that!" he continued crying. Markus turned red. His face is smudged with tears.

"No,,," she sternly replied and paused "I guess you have to see him and stop these ridiculous panic attacks. I'm sick and tired of all the times I must take care of you that I have to sacrifice my work just to attend to that pathetic emotional problem that you have! C'mon Marky, grow up and be a man." She tried not to cry and swallowed all the emotions. "...in the first place, it was your fault to wrongly choose your opponent, to hack ORION. Of all things?! That's being insane!" she looked away and her tears fell.

Markus hold her shirt's hem trembling, tears falling but he remained silent.

She would like to comfort him and hug him until he calmed down, but she knew that would not do him any better. She must be strong to make his son stronger and better.