Chapter 12: Play Down

"Number 8, huh? That's my lucky number". He whispered to himself.

He passed by the heated atmosphere of the battlefield he's in. Heavy air rides on his shoulders and wondrous stared rained on him as he went to his registered computer. With his brat-like attitude, he smirked through it all.

He was amazed by the high-end units that the game provider lent to them the moment he reached the spot.

"This PC is never a match to what I have at home." He thought.

He sat wide-eyed in front of a 55in-wide 1080x1920p resolution three-fold monitor curving in front of him. The keyboard is flashed on a glass screen below the monitor and is showing the ORION logo as a screen saver. The mouse which was like a half of a ball lay beside the keyboard and responds to the minutest hand movement.

"For an Elimination tournament, they've spent quite a lot of currency on this. And, even if I won't be able to win this tournament, I'm still the happiest." Markus muttered. "I can just boast that I have used this equipment once in my life!!" his blood boiled.

He hovered his hand on the mouse and scanned the ticket he got from the registration booth on the micro cam just below it that is attached to the table. The unit came to life and flashed,

<Reign of Aegis>

"Whoa.." he blurted. It was a very good experience for a grade-schooler.

He immediately sat on the gaming chair and inserted his account card on the port near the mouse. The Arsenal flashed on the screen and the list of his equipment appeared on the side.

Arcane Phantom. "I'm glad I've changed my account name ahead of time. It's quite embarrassing if they knew the old dull name has appeared on the screen, and everyone watching in here would see it. I can't take that.". He muttered in his brain, all feeling butterflies.

He heard the announcements from the MC and he followed the instruction. He wore the headgear and turned it on. He heard the cheering slowly fading as the earphones cancel all the outward sounds and brought them into the virtual game.

All the players were sent into different locations inside a ruined building.

Welcome to Nirvana! Ladies and gentlemen. This is the new place where you'll fight to your heart's content. The MC declared as he appeared floating in front of every player as a hologram.

<Then, you can start the hunt for Aegis!>

"He said to start but I don't think I know where I am," Markus muttered. "Oh, I remember we have this." he swiped his hand in front and a floating holographic monitor shaped like a black ball with the black-colored top plushie, Minz, appeared. "Hi there, Minz." the ball creaked.

The monitor replied with 3 dots that are floating as if waiting for a command.

"Show me the map," Arcane Knight commanded and the map appeared on Minz.

"Oh..." he sighed. He leaned his back on the wall behind him, slowly dragging himself to the floor, and sat silently. "So this game is like Dungeon hunting. The place has a maze-like field full of diversions and traps on every floor of a tall building, about 50 floors. It was in a hexagonal shape with a huge open center field lighted with a solar circle on the ceiling." the kid traced his finger to the ladders on every floor. "Everyone is scattered and we have to fight for the loots. It is indeed a battle of survival."

Arcane Knight looked around and even scanned himself.

"A wright in this kind of environment doesn't sound right," he muttered. "I guess I should change my skin."