42

C A R T E R | the universe hates us

I'm awoken to the sounds of my phone vibrating aggressively on my nightstand. Jesus Christ what time is it, and who the fuck is calling? I look over at my clock, it's 7 am on a Sunday, this better be important.

My phone reads. 10 missed calls from Liam Carrington. 

Wait Liam? Why is he calling me? Did something happen to Sophia, dear god I hope not.

"What's wrong?" I ask, the worry now taking over my voice. "Just come over here ASAP and don't knock on the door. Just text me when you're here." Is all he says before hanging up, but he sounded incredibly stressed.

I don't have time to change so I just brush my teeth and put on a sweatshirt. Still in my sweatpants I hop onto my bike and speed to her house. The entire time I rack my mind with what it could be. Eloise, Gavin, her dad?

When I arrive outside their lavish house I shoot Liam a message and within 30 seconds Paige opens the door. "What happened? Where's Soph?" I ask but she just pulls me into the house.

"She's still sleeping." Wait then what do they need me for? I follow her up the stairs into a room I've never been in. 

Judging by the color and life this room has I'm going to assume it's Paige's. I look around and I see greenery hanging from the ceiling, a very colorful photo collage spread across the wall and a giant Vote Igor  poster sitting directly above her bed.

My favorite thing might be the Harry Styles cardboard cutout that just stands at the foot of her bed.

I don't have much time to admire her room because my attention is directed to the very stressed Carrington family. Liam is pacing, Paige bites her nails, their mother looks near tears.

"Oh my god what happened?" I ask from the doorway. Then her mother actually does burst into tears, they're quiet but it's still an odd sight.

Liam takes in a shaky breath, "Owen got out of prison on Thursday and we just found out this morning."

I'm sorry what did he say? 

"What? How? I thought he was supposed to be there for at least 5 to 10 years."

"He got on out parole, for good behavior." Liam spits with venom laced in his voice. "He's on house arrest and we have a restraining order but who knows what he's capable of." Paige shudders, she sounds absolutely terrified. 

What are they going to tell Sophia?

"We have to tell her." I'm the first one to speak after the uncomfortable silence. "No she still has one more show to get through tonight, we'll find out a way to tell her after." Liam sternly says, glaring at me.

"No. You drop a bomb like this on me and then expect me to hide it from her. I'm not going to lie to her." I fire back and Liam's jaw tightens and his eyes go dark. "You're not lying to her, you're just not going to tell her." Paige sheepishly adds, she takes notice of her brother's rising anger.

"No she deserves to know. I'll feel like I'm lying to her."

Liam slams his hand against Paige's desk. "Goddammit Carter do I have to say this twice, you aren't going to tell her!" He practically yells, he strides towards me, glaring at me. His anger and stress multiplying. 

"You might want to back the fuck up before I kick your ass." I threaten, unsure if I could take him. He's got to be at least three inches taller than me and a lot stronger than me. I remember him beating the shit out of Gavin after the dance, a time that feels like a million years ago.