37

C H L O E | why she did what she did

"HE DID WHAT?" I yell into the phone. I can't believe what I'm hearing. I know that Natalia didn't just say what I think she said.

"Volume Chloe." Natalia winces on the other end. I roll my eyes, not really caring, because there are more pressing issues than her ear drums. "What happened?" I hear Claire ask behind me.

All of our group, minus Sophia and Carter are hanging out in Maddie's basement. Nothing has really been the same and we go back to school in a week. We don't know what's going to happen.

I inhale a breath trying to calm down at Carter's sheer stupidity. Why are men like this?

"What exactly happened?" I press, my anger rising. "Eloise came over to talk and I saw them talking on the porch and all of a sudden she kissed him. He pulled back and told her to leave after that but for a split second he kissed back."

That fucking whore. Yes, I'm slut shaming Carter. No I don't condone slut shaming but this dumbass that I call my best friend is a special exception.

"Okay, thanks for telling me Nat." Is all I say before I hang up, slamming my phone down on the table.

I turn back to the group, this isn't going to go well. "Eloise and Carter kissed."

"What the fuck?" They all shoot out of their seats.

"Why?"

"I can't believe this."

"Does Sophia know?"

"They were my OTP." Hunter exclaims through all the chaos.

We were all heartbroken when we found out that Sophia broke up with Carter. We didn't know how to handle it. I understood though. After learning what Sophia had been through, I would need space too.

Still, there was something off about it. It was just so sudden and random.

I pull out my phone getting ready to dial one of her siblings. Liam is the first person I see. "Wait no call Paige. We want Carter to live, remember?" Leo says, peering over my shoulder.

"Well at this rate, probably not." I mutter, dialing Paige.

It rings a few times before a very exhausted Paige picks up. Yeah... she had the exact same reaction as us. I'm scared to find out what is about to go down in that house.

"That's it, I'm calling Carter." Hunter exclaims and this is one of the few times where there is no hint of humor in his words. "This has gone too far." Kia adds and I think we all agree. How did we even get here?

"Carter, get your ass over to Maddie's right now. No I don't care if you were sleeping, come here or I'm beating the shit out of you." Hunter snaps. The tone of Hunter's voice sends chills through all of us. I've never heard him like this.

"Hunter just breathe." Claire places a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"This is just too much. Did I not say Eloise would screw him over when he wanted to ask her out two years ago?" He did say that. I remember that day vividly.

"And when his soulmate gets hurt like that by his ex-girlfriend. What does he do? He fucking kisses the bitch. Where was his brain, where was the logic?" Hunter continues ranting.

"Hunter why are you so affected by this?" Leo suddenly asks.

"Because Sophia is our friend too. You all heard what happened to her. She needs us and if it comes down to it. I'm on her side. She needs the support." We all tense, all the noise gets cut off. That really surprises me. Hunter is willing to side with Sophia over his life long best friend.