04

C A R T E R | so close yet so far away

"Stop looking at those." My best friend Hunter's voice rings in my ear. I've been scrolling through my Instagram archive looking at pictures of Eloise and I that reluctantly I deleted. Pictures on my birthday, on Christmas, at her beach house, pretty much any moment you can think of, we spent together.

"I still can't believe that she broke up with me after a year of dating." I sigh, in front of me is a picture of Eloise and me at the pool, she's kissing me and her strawberry blonde hair looks perfect as ever.

"You know what you need, a really good hookup," Another one of my best friends Leo says. Glaring at him, I flip him off. "No seriously, I agree with Leo." Chloe laughs.

"Does everyone agree with them?" I look around. Chase is sitting with his girlfriend Maddie in his lap. Hunter is holding back laughter. They all nod.

"We need to find you a chick who will just screw you and then get on with her life." Chloe laughs.

"We should bring back man whore Carter, he was fun." Hunter adds.

"Cállate la boca." I snap.

"Calmate, Carter, solo estan bromeando," Chloe replies telling me to calm down, which prompts everyone to groan.

"Little reminder that you two are the only ones who speak Spanish," Leo says, clearly tired of it.

Chloe and I are both fluent in Spanish. Sometimes we talk shit about everyone in front of them just to piss them off. Hunter and Leo have had to put up with it since we've known them which is forever.

I feel the bonfire against my face and I continue looking at pictures. Eloise was my girlfriend for so long, I can't even remember the last time I even looked at another girl. I keep scrolling through old photos, reminiscing. She was my first serious girlfriend.

Hunter throws sand onto my phone screen.

"Vete a la mierda."

Hunter looks at Chloe for translation. "He just told you to fuck off." She tells him nonchalantly, glancing at her long, sharp nails. Hunter pretends to get offended by whipping imaginary long hair behind him.

When I look down at my phone it's Leo this time who grabs it and puts it in Chloe's bag. I throw my hands up in defeat. I put my hands on my head, taking in the ocean sounds like some sad puppy. This is my friend's usual summer hang out spot.

It's usually empty but there are three other people across the way. They are laughing and tossing stuff around. I find myself looking back at them a few times.

"Are you fucking kidding me! No way, how could he, Claire are you okay?" I hear Maddie talk over the phone.

"What's wrong babe?" Chase sits up. Maddie stomps back over to him, kicking up sand behind her.

"Claire caught Anthony having sex with Alexa in his car." Maddie looks pissed.

"You're kidding." Chloe finally stops picking at her nails.

"I have to go check on Claire, see you guys next week." Maddie says. "I'll drive you home." Chase grabs her hand and they leave.

"I always knew something was off about Anthony." Hunter scoffs, his voice full of anger. "Hunter, at least Claire's available now." Leo punches his shoulder.

Chloe immediately starts coming up with ways for him to ask her out. I grab a beer from the cooler and down the whole thing. My phone suddenly buzzes in my pocket. Mi mama is calling.