44 | Deep In Disguise

2409 words

"Well that went swimmingly," Savannah grumbled.

"I'm not surprised," Talei shrugged as they entered the house and flopped onto the living room couch together. "Hal can be a very protective mama bear when she needs to be."

"Hal? You know her? Who does she think she is, anyway? So stuck up and impolite. Couldn't she tell I'm a strong Alpha?"

Talei laughed, her mirth not shared by the fuming Savannah. "Sure. Halcyon is Phoenix's older sister; practically family to Zion. They go way back, and she'd do anything to protect him and his pup. That's why I'm not surprised she gave you such a cold shoulder. You are hunting him down, after all."

"I'm doing it for his own good. He'll be in far worse trouble if anyone else catches him," Savannah explained emphatically while wondering for the hundredth time if she was doing the right thing.

"Keep telling yourself that, girly. But you wanna know what I think?" Talei looked at her mischievously.

Savannah began shaking her head. "Not really..."

"I think you're crazy about him and this distance is killing you."

"What? I am not! It is not," Savannah grabbed a pillow and tried slapping the goofy smile off Talei's face. "I'm just..."

"Just...?" Talei prodded. "Come on, out with it. You miss him terribly, don't you? Miss his soft cuddles and hot kisses. His dreamy smiles. The way he corners you in his bedro--"

"Don't you dare!" Savannah pushed the cheeky rogue shewolf off the couch, then jumped up and stormed away to the sound of Talei's high-pitched laughter.

She found Niko and Darek working on something together in the dining room. They'd spread out electronics and hand tools all over the table, and had their heads bent over a small device.

"Whatcha doing?" She peered over their shoulders, her mind only half in the moment while the rest was planning what to make for dinner. Was there anything edible left in the fridge? When had the rogues last gone shopping for fresh supplies?

"A new microchip," Niko said, his voice slow and distracted as he soldered a delicate wire onto a green metallic board.

"A real processor this time," Darek added. "We're making it powerful enough to connect with the new Nebula satellite. Then we should be able to tap into its surveillance cameras and track Zion's every move."

"Sounds good," she nodded her approval, not really understanding a word they said.

"Hey, I just got off the phone from Ryan," Cale said as he walked into the room and joined her at the table.

"Yeah? Any good news?" she looked up expectantly, desperately wanting to hear something that would lift her mood.

"Well, good news is, he found copies of your photos on Lord Alistair's phone and on a backup hard drive. He's deleted them, but bad news is there's still the original source. Whoever sent them to Alistair is still out there and could easily send it again to any other Council member."

Savannah sighed, sinking into a chair and letting her shoulders fall. She knew this already in the back of her mind. "If someone wants to discredit me, they'll find a way to. We can't help it. I need to face the consequences of my mistakes if it comes to it, so I'll be prepared. Anything else?" She looked at him knowingly.

Cale shook his head, the movement almost imperceptible as he tilted it in Darek's direction. Sorry Alpha, nothing yet about the other thing you wanted.