26 | Toasted Marshmallows

4409 words

"Right. Well I'm responsible for these bodies on the ground. So unless you want to end up just like them, give me one good reason not to rip your throat out," Savannah crossed her arms over her chest and glared at Regan's audacity. She didn't need a reason to not kill him, because she was going to do it anyway. No one accused her mate of such heinous crimes and lived to boast about it.

"I'll give you one," Tori stepped forward, her eyes shooting daggers at Regan. "He's mine to kill."

"Oh goody," Regan rubbed his hands together when he caught sight of her. "All of my favourite people in one place. Should be so much fun to watch your bodies burn once I am through with you. The fire to cleanse the forest is always my favourite part of the wars." His throaty chuckle was downright creepy and menacing.

"What fire?" Savannah whispered to Ethan who had come up to stand beside her.

The rogue from Nightwing gave a subtle shrug. "No idea. Never heard of a fire around these parts. However, Regan always does tend towards the crazy side as the night wears on."

"Wonderful. Just what we need," she groaned, watching Tori and Regan face off, circling each other as they sized the other up, protruding their claws and snarling with dark intent. "Should we interrupt?"

"Nah. Let T have her fun. She deserves it. I'll give her five minutes, and if she's not done by then, you can intervene."

"Gotcha."

"So, Victoria," Regan started speaking, grinning at the way Tori bristled. "Are you finally going to be a good girl and tell me where my son is?"

"Why? So you can kill him?"

"The only good pack wolf is a dead pack wolf. Isn't that what I always say?"

"Go to hell!"

"No. Oh, no, my dear," Regan chuckled, loosening his stance as he threw her a pitying look. "I escaped hell already. If my intel serves correctly, Javed seems intent on running right back towards it. By helping him return to our homeland, you've as good as killed him yourself."

Tori shook her head, not surprised Regan knew about Javed's whereabouts. Clearly, the rogue was still at the top of his game, but there were a few things he refused to comprehend. "That's where you're wrong. The pack is so much better off without you in it, and Javed is working hard to make it even better. If he's even double the Beta you ever were, he'll make the pack worth being a part of. You, on the other hand, are on a one way road over the cliff. Yeah, that's right," Tori smirked, "The cliff you once pushed me over." With those words, she charged, knocking into Regan with all the force of an enraged shewolf. She was powerful, and had the wind at her back as she shoved with brute strength into the cruel former Beta.

Unfortunately, Regan was ready for her. He'd been expecting her at any moment, and with a simple lift of his arm, he deflected her blow. Knocking her back, he then advanced with his own raised fists, and pummeled them into her gut.

Tori was tough, but not that tough. Not even a Beta's mate could withstand the force of those blows without injury. Savannah winced as the sound of crunching bones echoed around the clearing. Tori took the hits, retreating a step back with each blow from Regan. Then, once backed against a tree, she lifted an arm with lightning speed, striking out and grabbing his wrist before it struck her face. She leaned in close to his face and spat. "You can break me, Regan. Your cruelness can scar my body. You can throw me over as many cliffs as you like, but you'll never win. Nothing can stop the revolution—"

Regan slapped her with his other hand, her check blooming red where his skin connected with her flesh. "Shut up, you filthy wolf!"

From across the clearing, Savannah watched with agitation as Regan taunted Tori. It was one thing to oversee her wolves training and practice fighting, and quite another to watch as rogues battled it out with vicious intent. She felt Zion lean against her leg, his hand coming up to wrap around her calf. He still sat on the ground, gathering strength as his system fought the toxin. Reaching her hand down, she tangled her fingers in his soft hair, soothing him and herself with the contact.