24 | The Games Begin

6179 words

"Yeah, no. Not gonna happen." Savannah tried her best to stand up to this loopy guy who thought he could defeat her. Her only trouble was appearing strong without really standing up to him in a dominant Alpha way. All she really wanted to do was punch the smug expression off his face, but Zion made it rather difficult by touching her arm cautiously.

"Vannah. Cool, remember?" he muttered quietly so only she could hear.

Patting his hand, she took a calming breath. "You know," she began, lifting an eyebrow at Bax, "You seem to be forgetting who you're dealing with. My man is capable of shredding three guys single handedly. Tearing right through their flesh and bones like they are noodles." Sliding her arm through Zion's, she leaned into him and smirked when Bax's face paled. "And he will remain by my side all night. So good luck defeating us."

"Yeah, good luck!" Talei strode forward, right between Bax and his clingy girlfriend. She purposefully shoved her shoulder against theirs, causing Savannah to bite back a laugh at the furious expressions on their faces. The rest of the Silverfang rogues moved as one through Bax and his buddies, staring coldly down at them.

Savannah felt a lingering stare and looked over her shoulder, meeting the dark gaze of Bax's girlfriend. Somehow, she got the distinct impression that this wouldn't be their last run in with each other.

"Okay, let's arrange into teams," Zion announced once they'd set up camp. It wasn't much, just a plaid picnic blanket with their bags thrown down around it.

If it was the middle of the day with a bright sun in the sky, anyone would think they were all gathered for a festival, and Savannah almost smiled at the community spirit that lingered around them. But the only light was from the silvery moon, casting inky shadows over everything and providing cover for innumerable shady activities. The Alpha's smile disappeared when she heard grunts and growls coming from a few wolves wrestling a dozen yards away. Their bloodthirsty cackles of laughter were definitely not family friendly.

Looking around, she briefly wondered where all the children were. Did their parents leave them home while they attended these war games? Or did rogues just not have many children to begin with? Or maybe they sacrificed their babies to the moon in some sort of voodoo ritual?

She wouldn't put anything past these heathen rogues, though she was beginning to see how socially structured these rogues could really be. But did that extend to relationships and family units? Savannah thought of Marlon and Yolanda and their gorgeous baby Matheus, and concluded rogues weren't all bad.

"I'm with Chay," Talei immediately announced.

"You were on his team last year," her twin pointed out.

"Why do you think we won?"

"Because Niko cheated," Willow snorted in amusement.

"Did not! Since there are no rules, how does one actually cheat?"

"Dude, stop splitting hairs! You know what I mean."

"Why don't you all quit squabbling and let me pick my own team?" Chayton interrupted before a fight broke out.

"You'd pick all the shewolves, that's why," Niko commented sourly.

Chayton shrugged in agreement. "Maybe that's because they make the best distraction."

"That is a sexist comment, and I object!" Talei stamped her foot.

"I object to your objection! Everyone knows shewolves are given special treatment in the wars."

Willow rolled her eyes. "Yeah, specially treated to a one way ticket over the cliff."

"That was an exception, so you can't keep bringing it up. Everyone knows Tori totally deserved it," Phoenix responded vehemently.