17 | Alphas Can Handle Anything

4344 words

"Don't be ridiculous," Savannah held out her hands and shoved away from Dean. The burly warrior scowled and grunted his disapproval of her actions. She glared at the warrior and guards from her pack, "I'm the Alpha, and I forbid you to lay a hand on Zion. He's my mate, not just a rogue."

"But Justin said—"

"I don't care what Justin said! I'm in charge here."

Jamie mirrored her animosity, jutting her chin and throwing her shoulders back instead of posturing to her Alpha. "You left the pack under his authority. We've been taking orders from him."

"Okay, that's fine. I left him in charge, and I'm glad you submitted to his authority." Savannah thought back on all the times Jamie had preferred to joke with Justin instead of taking his commands as Beta seriously. The guard clearly had a thing for the handsome Beta, and Savannah had hoped that her absence had given Jamie time to mature and settle into her rank as Head Guard.

Clearly, she'd taken her position to the other extreme, opposing her Alpha and forgetting who she should really be deferring to. "But you're still under my command and leadership. You will do as I say, and go back to Justin. Tell him I'm not coming home and I'm not killing my mate!" Savannah told her bluntly.

Landon wisely remained silent but cast wary glances at the tall and muscular rogue. It was clear that even the three of them would have trouble taking him down. Without Savannah on their side, the task would be near impossible and likely suicidal. Nodding at Dean, the two of them stepped back, leaving Jamie and Savannah standing off, toe to toe, circling each other as if they were equals fighting for territory.

"You tell him yourself. Justin is worried about you, and is only just keeping himself together. You don't understand how hard it is for him to lead the pack as well," Jamie said lowly, rebuke in her tone. "And what on earth happened to your hair? Did the rogue try drowning you in a barrel of tar?"

Zion scoffed at her ridiculous accusation, but Savannah ignored it. "I'm sure my parents are helping with leadership of our pack. Dad never has trouble stepping in as Alpha when needed," she countered, knowing her enthusiastic father would never pass up the opportunity to lead his pack again.

"That's not the issue here," Jamie scowled, casting subtle glances between them.

"Then tell me what is? Because the way I see it, my pack is in perfectly capable hands, so I suggest you go back and keep doing your job."

"But you're our Alpha!"

"Couldn't tell by the way you're acting," Savannah crossed her arms and gave her guard a pointed look. When Jamie just growled lowly, the Alpha continued, "Right now I'm ordering you to stand down, and go home."

Jamie's eyes flashed, her jaw clenching as she fought against her desires to remain defiant. Then she wilted, her shoulders visibly sagging as she gave in to the dominance of her true Alpha. "Fine. I'll go back and tell Justin you refused to come home and shoulder your responsibilities. He's gonna be crushed that you'd rather gallivant around the city with a filthy rogue." Her last words were accompanied by an acidic glance at Zion.

"Oh please," he narrowed his eyes and growled at what Jamie was insinuating.

She ignored him. "I guess I'll have to be the one to console him," Jamie sighed dramatically.

Savannah couldn't help noticing that behind the indifference, Jamie was rather looking forward to the task. But once she looked beyond Jamie's attitude, she felt her heart tug at the way Justin was feeling.

Was he really missing her that much? It didn't make any sense, and she had to make Jamie see that so in turn, Justin would understand. "Sure. Go ahead. You do that, and while you're at it, tell him to stop worrying about me. I'm perfectly fine and safe. Does he really think my mate would hurt me?"