8 | Deal on eBay

2728 words

A distressed scream slipped from the Alpha's mouth. "Help! Ohhh, let me go. Please don't hurt me!" she squirmed against the arms that held her, trying with all her might to sound helpless instead of swivelling on her heels and socking her attacker good. Having realised she was in a city filled with humans, she figured it was in her best interest to hide her wolf identity. If humans were as bad as Phoenix said they were...

"Shh, stop screaming! I'm not going to hurt you," a smooth and silky voice said in her ear, at the same time the cold edge of a knife pressed against her neck.

"Yeah, right. Just put the knife away and let's talk about this," she replied through gritted teeth, staring up at the stars as she was dragged back further into the dark alley.

"Oh, you're a funny one. No talking needed, sweetheart, unless you want to say your prayers before you go night-night." And with that, he slammed the hilt of the knife to the side of her head, and Savannah slumped in her best efforts to look passed out. She was roughly picked up, chucked in the back of a vehicle, and left to roll around as they sped down the street.

"This had better be worth it," she muttered to herself as the driver and passenger laughed up front. "Maybe I'll learn something for Phoenix."

It didn't take long to reach their destination, and then Savannah was again man-handled awkwardly into a building that reeked of stale air and greasy motor oil. It looked like a garage, with car hoists and jacks littering the floor space, oil drums, jugs and tools lining the walls.

She was tied roughly to a chair, and Savannah vowed to herself never to sit again in her life. These traumatic experiences involving chairs were going to affect her tremendously, she just knew it.

When a hard slap jarred her face and neck, she opened her eyes fully and winced. "What was that for?" she scowled, doing her best to look hurt. "You nasty thugs!"

The two men standing in front of her just laughed. "Don't be such a princess. We know who you are, so cut the crocodile tears."

"Crocodile tears?" she blinked up at them, inconspicuously noting the scuffs on their leather jackets and ripped jeans, the silver chains they wore at their pockets, the military boots covered in mud, the flickering lightbulbs on the high ceiling, the two exits on either side of the room, and the crowbars a few metres to her left. Whoever these guys were, they lacked weapons and common sense, besides the knife still in their hand. "You know who I am?" she put a waver in her voice, which wasn't hard considering her heartbeat had spiked. Did they know she was a wolf?

"Yeah, part of the Gonzales Gang. Tell us, how much did you get from Commbank earlier tonight? Ten mil? Twenty? Banks don't normally have much cold cash on hand, so what was Cruz really after? Hmm?" One of the men leaned in her face, prying for information with more than his words.

She smelt minty breath, aftershave, and Thai noodles with ginger sauce. "You have me completely mistaken for someone else, I'm afraid. But even if I did have cash from a bank robbery, there's no way I'd be sharing it with you, anyway."

The man growled, as much as a human could, and glared angrily. Savannah nearly laughed at the pitiful level of ferociousness on his face.

"You want me to have a crack, man?" the other man asked, stepping forward and smiling wickedly at Savannah.

"Soon. I want to see how far she'll go to protect her man. Danny said she was very loyal, and wouldn't even sell out her second-cousin once removed, but I have my doubts," he toyed with the blonde locks of her hair, twirling a knife in his other hand.

Savannah knew it wouldn't make her bleed, but she was afraid of what they'd do once they realised it wouldn't. "I don't know Danny or Cruz. You have to believe me. I wasn't at any bank robbery—" Just a failed weapons trade, but you don't need to know that— "and I don't have any cousins. So please, just let me go before someone gets hurt. I'm not who you think I am."