14 | Undying Need

3906 words

Savannah stared with interest at the tools and objects arranged neatly on shelves and tables around Zion's workshop. What had Talei called it? A lab. It was definitely filled with technology and equipment beyond her comprehension. She became increasingly intrigued, wondering what he used it all for.

Palming a cool object in her hand, she held it up for closer scrutiny.

The object Zion had bargained with Darek for was small, like a key, and made from a dull metal that shone jade in one light, and cornflower blue in another. When Zion had kindly draped her in his own jacket at dawn the day before, the temptation had been too hard to resist.

It hadn't taken much effort to slip her hand into his pocket and transfer the mysteriously wrapped object to her own.

Now, as she studied it under the fluorescent lights of his workshop, her questions grew. One end was clearly a key, sharply cut to fit a very unique lock. The other end of the strange metallic key flattened then tapered into a sharp point. It was etched with veins and serrations to resemble a leaf.

For all the botany and horticulture books she'd read, the Alpha couldn't place the species of plant. "Just what does this unlock?" she murmured to herself, her eyes grazing over filing cabinets, desk drawers, and safes that were stacked against the walls. None looked worthy of such a special key. "What secrets are you hiding down here, Zion?"

"None to interest a curious Alpha such as yourself."

Savannah fairly jumped out of her skin at the sudden disturbance of words.

"Zion!" She squeaked, turning to face him where he stood near the stairs. "Um...you're back!" She fumbled for words, her fingers closing tightly around the stolen object in her palm.

His eyes followed her skittish movements, not a single movement escaping the rogue's keen gaze. He lifted a brow lazily. "You know, that key is worthless except to the one it belongs to."

"I highly doubt that. Otherwise, Darek wouldn't have kept it from you," she pointed out, tossing the key up and down in her palm, realising there was no use hiding it from him.

"He was just too ignorant to realise how useless it was to him. But you," he tilted his head, regarding her from where he stood ten feet away.

She held her breath and waited for his completed statement. Nervously, she studied him. One would never guess he'd just come from butchering a few humans. His calm demeanour and clean exterior belied his deadly actions. She couldn't even smell the scent of blood on him.

Zion continued, "You are smarter than him, yes?"

She forced a laugh. "Which is why I don't believe you." After raising an eyebrow in imitation of his, she dared contradict him, "So I think I'll just hold onto this. I'm sure I can find a use for it."

He just shrugged. "Suit yourself. Don't blame me when you suffer from elizenthium poisoning."

She almost dropped the key. "Elizenthium?" After quickly wrapping it in its leather pouch, she studied her hand. The rare metal was known to burn skin, sapping one's strength and energy due to its volatile molecular structure. "Isn't that stuff seriously toxic?"

"Naturally, with you being a strong Alpha, you wouldn't feel the effects without long exposure. But there's no need to dally. Just hand it back," he wiggled his fingers, motioning her closer.

"And I suppose, with you being such an impervious rogue," she gripped the leather stubbornly, "you don't feel the effects either?"

"You could say that," he shrugged nonchalantly, his lack of reaction ticking her off.