35 | No Right

3775 words

Pacing back and forth across the carpet of her office did nothing to ease Savannah's nerves. In fact, Justin's rhythmic footsteps only served to wind the tension tighter.

"Okay, come on. Say something," she exasperated, laying her hands flat on the desk and leaning forward to drill him with a hard stare.

"Not bad. Question is," he looked up from the pages he'd been reading. "Is it the truth?"

"Every word of it." She'd been up all night writing the report on the Silver Rogue, needing to get it done before they left for the Alpha Conference the next day. And now as Justin proof-read it, she couldn't help biting her nails in anticipation of his scathing response.

"And how many other truthful words did you leave out? Lord Alistair is going to know this isn't the full story."

"He knows how deadly Zion is, and how hard it would be for a female Alpha to take him down. If Bastien couldn't do it, why would anyone expect me to? For once, I don't mind playing up my weaknesses if it saves our necks from the chopping block." She'd written all about the deal made on the border of her territory, exchanging herself for the safety of her pack. The sacrifice she'd made would make any Alpha sympathise. She just hoped the rest of the story, the parts she'd included of fighting with the Silver Rogue and coming out second best, would be enough to allay Alistair's suspicions.

"Let's just hope you're right. Otherwise, Lord Alistair might order a full inquiry into the matter, and that type of paperwork could take months to sort out," Justin raked an impatient hand through his curly hair. Everyone knew the Beta's strong point was not office work, and that he'd much rather be running border patrol than sifting through folders of legality.

"Yeah, ain't nobody got time for that," Savannah spun around in her chair, grimacing when her back was to Justin. She hadn't told a soul about the incriminating photos Alistair had of her wild night at the rogue party. It would be the death of her if anyone in her family saw just how far she'd strayed while chasing her rebellious mate.

"It'll have to do. That doesn't mean I like it, though," Justin slapped the papers on her desk, an agitated look in his brooding eyes.

"Please, spare me the lecture," Savannah rocked back in her chair, appearing far more calm than she felt. "Nobody dislikes it more than me. You think I asked for my mate to be the most dangerous rogue? You think I don't want him thrown in prison for his crimes against our packs?"

"Then why didn't you do it?" Justin turned on her, the question written in every hard line of his tall, muscular body. If he hadn't been so quickly incapacitated by the sophisticated toxin Zion had used on him when they first met, the Beta would have used all his strength to take down the deadly rogue, no questions asked.

That's precisely what Savannah was trying to prevent. "He's my mate, Justin. You know how much the bond means to me."

"It doesn't have to, does it? Just because you feel some sparks when you touch doesn't mean you have to tie down the rest of your life to this worthless rogue. He doesn't deserve you. He can rot in hell, for all I care."

"Hey, knock it off!" Savannah rose, a sudden urge to defend her mate bubbling up from the depths of her soul. "Zion didn't ask for this, either. He's had his share of pain and injustice at the hands of pack wolves like us. If you give him a chance, you'll see him the way I do. You'll see he has what it takes to be a worthy pack member."

"You want to make him part of the pack? After everything he's done?" Justin's tone was incredulous, the look in his eyes even harsher.

Immediately, Savannah felt ashamed for her words. Justin had worked harder than anybody to protect the pack, to be a strong Beta and fulfil his duties seriously and with all his strength. They'd had each others' backs since childhood, and now it sounded like she was just slapping him in the face by taking the side of their deadliest enemy.