Prologue | Cursed

3475 words

"Good morning, beautiful."

Vixen unburied her face from a pillow that was as soft as heaven.

By the time she realised it wasn't actually a pillow, but a hard and warm chest, a hand was already brushing back the hair that had fallen in her eyes. She shot to a sitting position, blinking and rubbing her face to shake off the vagueness of slumber. "Where am I, what time is it, and who are you?"

A low chuckle greeted her in response. A low masculine chuckle that wasn't at all familiar.
"It's about eight o'clock, you're in my holiday apartment, and I am Alpha Darryn, your mate."

Mate!

The word slapped against her ears, deafening her, trying to wriggle past the mental barrier she had firmly kept in place since childhood. "What am I doing here? Did you abduct me? Did you drug me and tie me up and-"

"Nothing like that," Darryn chuckled again, his large hand wrapping around her waist and dragging her back towards himself.

After falling on his body, sparks lit up like a million tiny fireworks over her skin, and her vision finally cleared enough to see just how much skin was now in contact with his.

She stumbled from the bed. "Did we.. did you..."

"Don't you remember?" he sat up and tilted his head, amused at her reaction to him. "Don't tell me the mind-blowing night we just shared is completely forgotten."

"No, I..." She didn't forget. How could she? Yesterday had been her birthday, and a bunch of her friends had dragged her to a human bar where they proceeded to get drunk and very boisterous to celebrate. She had counted on having a good night and partying like tomorrow didn't exist. She had lived like this for a long time, hopping from place to place, enjoying herself and not having a care in the world to worry about.
Rogues like her didn't need packs or boundaries or rules to cage them in. She had counted on continuing on like this forever.

What she hadn't counted on were the glowing green eyes that had arrested her in place on the dance floor, nor the warm hands that had encased her hips and sent sparks of desire spiralling through her body. She also hadn't counted on the wave of dominance that exuded from the most delicious male she had ever laid eyes on. When he had introduced himself as Alpha, she contemplated running.

But he had other ideas, whispering against her ear that her being a rogue meant nothing to him, that he would love her just as much and ensure she remained free for life. It hadn't taken her long to cave, to fall under his spell of strong yet sweet caresses, hot kisses and the insistent desire that swallowed them both whole.

"Consider my mind blown," she finally replied.

He smirked and got up off the bed, unashamed, but she couldn't bring herself to look anywhere but his handsome face framed by tousled blond hair. Then the scar on his neck caught her attention, causing her entire body to lock with unease.

Dashing to the bathroom, she pushed back her hair and stared at her reflection. Amidst the blooming blues and purple love bites on her neck was a very pronounced white scar. A mark, to be exact.

The very thing she had been avoiding her whole life.

"Isn't it beautiful?" Darryn's husky voice purred in her ear, causing her to flinch and prepare to flee, but she didn't get far when his long arms wrapped around her. His broad and toned frame completely eclipsed hers, and she stared at their differences in the mirror. She was healthy for a rogue-skinny but not malnourished; lean and strong with the fiery strength of a wildcat.