32 | Test Subject

4879  words

"This is not happening!" Savannah screeched, jumping in front of Phoenix and shielding his view of Emerald. She waved her arms, she tried distracting him, she even threw her hoodie over his head, but it was all to no avail.

Phoenix was a man on a mission, with a one-track mind, his eyes glued to Emerald as she ate up the distance between them with tentative steps. He brushed Savannah aside as if he didn't even notice she was there, and couldn't take his eyes off the vision before him.

Shyly, Emerald stopped a few metres away and tucked her long hair behind her ear. A smile lit her face, her eyes gleaming with the sparkling colours of her name.

By now her mother and father had come over from the training field, crowding in to embrace Savannah. Kaiden slapped Cale on the back, grateful for supporting his eldest daughter in the long journey from home.

Amidst the smiles and greetings, Savannah watched as Phoenix stood quietly, still transfixed by the sight of her younger sister. All his usual bravado was gone, a nervous hesitancy fusing his body to the ground.

Emerald held out her hands gently, and only after a reassuring smile did Phoenix take them in his own. Instantly they both smiled broadly, oblivious to the hubbub around them as they drew each other closer.

"No!" Savannah still protested. "You can't be mates! I won't allow it!"

"Vannah, what's going on?" Chesca finally took notice of her daughter's distress, turning to see what was unfolding amidst them. It didn't take long to see her other daughter holding tightly to the stranger's hands, and to piece together the significance. "You found Emerald's mate? That's amazing! This is super!" she mirrored Lexi's exuberance of the occasion, dancing a little jig that would rival even her best friend's moves.

Everyone knew the former Head Guard Alexis of Alpha Chesca's pack could make a party out of every situation, but especially when two mates found each other. Lexi was a hopeless romantic, but had also given contradicting advice to Chesca when she was navigating her own journey with Kaiden, confusing the young couple even more.

"What's wrong with them being mates?" Kaiden asked, looking between them with an amused expression. He too was a fool for love at first sight. "I know nothing about the man, but if he's a friend of yours..." he eyed Savannah expectantly.

"He's not a friend. He's a rogue!" she snapped, looking around at all the celebratory smiles on everyone's face, and wondering why no one cared to listen to her. Her insides were simmering away, about ready to boil over. Phoenix might be able to help her in her own relationship with Zion, but there was no way he was good enough to be her sister's mate!

"What's wrong with being a rogue?" Emerald said simply, her eyes giving a subtle rebuke to her sister before returning to Phoenix. "He doesn't look like a rogue to me. I don't care what he's been in the past, he's here now," she said simply, as if his very presence on their territory deemed him as an honest and trustworthy pack wolf.

At her words of acceptance, Phoenix positively glowed, and stepped closer into her embrace.

It was strange how simple it was. Two mates coming together and accepting each other without all the bickering and fighting. Two mates willing to give their relationship a shot before even knowing a single iota of information about the other. Two mates putting aside all backgrounds, differences, and beliefs as they simply trusted their fate of being the other's half. God only knew how their journey would go, how much heartache awaited them, or how much joy He could give them. But they trusted Him in making the right decision of pairing them together, and working it out for their good in the end.