46 | Smartest Minds

4799 words

"What's going on?" Savannah gasped, knowing the question was cliche but it was definitely the first thing that ran through her mind while staring down the barrel of a pistol. Tony's pudgy face grinned at her eerily from the other end, while Talei circled them like a tiger.

"What does it look like?" Talei rolled her eyes and clapped Tony on the shoulder. "Come on, use your brain, Alpha." Her tone was taunting, her eyes cunning.

"Alpha?" Tony squeaked, his hand beginning to shake. "You never said anything about her being an Alpha!"

"Shut up and just shoot her," Talei glared at him. "The poison is strong enough to take down a rhinoceros."

"I...I can't risk it." Tony's hand dropped, the gun nearly falling from his trembling fingers. "I've always heard how strong and invincible Alphas are—"

"Then give it to me!" Talei grabbed the gun from him and shoved him aside. "Such a wuss." With a deadly mixture of ice and fire in her eyes, she aimed directly at Savannah and pulled the trigger.

The Alpha hadn't been expecting much. Maybe a sting from whatever cheap bullets Tony armed himself with, but she should have realised Talei wasn't so stupid. She felt a prick on the surface of her skin, and nearly sagged in relief.

Then a fire engulfed her gut, a pain that started as a punch before radiating out. "What...?" Looking down, she was surprised to not see any blood. Instead, a tiny dart protruded from her shirt where it was embedded in her skin. Her upper body cantered forward before she righted herself as a wave of dizziness rocked through her.

"What is this stuff?" she asked, pulling out the dart and looking at it closely. Her vision blurred, but it passed with a rough shake of her head. Glaring at Talei, she felt the urge to lunge forward and strangle the traitorous shewolf.

"A little cocktail I mixed up myself. I know how much you love a strong drink, am I right?"

Savannah nearly laughed. Amidst the bullets that still whizzed around them, the chaos of Hell's Saints rounding up humans to search, and the screams of injured people as they lay sprawled around the prestigious events centre entrance--Talei still managed to poke fun at Savannah's teetotalism.

The Alpha raised her fist to punch Talei in the face. "You've gotta be kidding me right now--"

With her signature smirk, the rogue shewolf held the gun out and fired again.

Savannah was halted in her tracks. Another round of poison shot through her veins, lighting up her insides like fireworks. "So this is what silver feels like?" she mused, noticing the way it raced through her appendages and left a numbing sensation in its wake.

"That, and a few other things. Let's see...venomous puffer fish, poison dart frog, manchineel tree sap, and--Oh, my personal favourite! Liquid elizenthium."

"But elizenthium is a rare metal," Savannah objected, unsure if she was hearing right.

"Hm mm," Talei agreed. "But this is an even rarer isotope of elizenthium which is liquid in its natural state. Perfect for injecting into even the strongest organisms."

When Savannah blinked lazily and swayed on her feet, Talei cackled a wicked laugh. "What did I tell you about dropping a rhinoceros?" She turned to Tony and elbowed him in the ribs.

The cop paled, shaking his head as he backed away almost apologetically. "I didn't sign up for this! Count me out. I know how dangerous Alphas can be."

Talei stomped her foot, immediately annoyed. Her dark look arrested Tony in place. "And you don't think Lucifer is even more dangerous? I promised him Zion or the ruby. We have neither. This joke of an Alpha is our only saving grace."