34 | Not Done Yet

3414 words

Savannah sighed, turning over in bed to try and get more comfortable, but sleep continued to evade her like the rogues they'd been tracking for months.

This evening had been a total disaster. Her dad had confronted Phoenix about his part in the theft of their investment money, and while Emerald had been shocked and hurt at first, she refused to let them lay all blame on her mate's shoulders.

Phoenix hadn't denied stealing millions of clients' dollars from BrightFuture, but he also argued black and blue it was for justifiable reasons. He'd do it all over again in order to reach his goals and mission in life.

He was only sorry it had hurt people he knew and now cared for. He'd said this solemnly, his eyes never leaving Emerald's, and Savannah could practically feel the forgiveness emanating from her sister to her mate.

And it made her sick.

How could Emerald so easily look past the criminal actions of her mate, when they had clearly hurt her and the entire pack? Why couldn't she get angry, and slap him or something? Why couldn't she shake him and yell at him for keeping such a horrible truth from her? He'd been such a respectful gentleman all day, getting to know the pack members and training alongside the command, all the while keeping this truth about who he really was from Emerald.

Savannah realised, as she envisioned taking out her anger on the rebellious rogues she'd come to know, that it was Zion's face she pictured on the receiving end of her violent actions.

He was the real one to blame. He was the one they should be hunting down for not only stealing their money, but ruining countless other lives with his vicious attacks, murders, lies and secrets.

He was out there somewhere, having left Savannah behind, and that's what really made her angry.

She sighed again, staring at the ceiling and seething inside at the injustice of it all. How did she and now Emerald both end up with horrible rogues as mates? Was God trying to punish them? Hadn't they been good enough in their life so far to deserve a decent chance at love and happiness?

What on earth were they supposed to do now?

Phoenix had gone rogue, in a metaphorical sense seeing as he already was quite literally a rogue.

He'd stormed off, refusing to debate the matter anymore when Kaiden threatened imprisonment and torture. It was easy to see that Phoenix had some soul-searching to do if he ever wanted to call this territory home. Without any remorse for his actions, he'd get nowhere in his pursuit of Emerald and an honest life as a pack member.

Wherever he was now, roaming the fringe of her territory, Savannah could only hope he'd come to the realisation not all problems in life could be solved with cunning or brute force. If he really wanted help in finding his sister's killer, all he had to do was ask nicely and surely they'd be able to reach an agreement. Instead, his devious behaviour was only digging for himself a deeper grave of pain and regret.

A soft tapping on the wall behind her interrupted Savannah's thoughts. She sat up, and smiled as she wrapped out a response. In a moment, Emerald opened the door adjoining their rooms and joined her on the bed. Over the years, the sisters had worked out a code to ask if the other was sleepless during long nights and needed company. There would often be things on their mind that needed discussing, problems to solve, and secrets to share where no one could overhear.

"So what's keeping you awake?" Emerald asked her older sister as she crawled under the blankets.

"Probably the same as you, and other things."