53 | He Remains Here

3867 words

"Missing? You're kidding, right? How does a fourteen year old get lost in his own backyard?" the young Alpha asked her father.

"He left to go camping in the northern forest three days ago, and no one's heard from him since. I'm beginning to think the worst," Kaiden replied gravely.

Savannah rolled her eyes and tried not to laugh at the seriousness on her dad's face. Looking over her shoulder at Zion, she gave him a wink. After being in Villawood all week, attending the trials for her mate and his rogue friends, she was tired, emotionally drained, and just wanted to curl up on the couch with her mate and rest...and maybe also kiss him for an hour non-stop.

Judging by the smirk on his face and the heat in his eyes, he was thinking the same thing.

So why, as soon as they'd finally reached home, was her dad being so dramatic?

"Did he tell you exactly where he was going?" Chesca asked her mate, casting furtive eyes towards the treeline. It wasn't unusual for her youngest son to go off by himself, exploring the woods, hunting, and being one with nature. They had a system in place where he would check in every day with one of the border guards, keeping the family assured of his safety.

Kaiden shrugged, reminding them all that the northern forest was a big place, not marked by names and locations easily pin-pointed on a map. "I've had Easton and Vika scour the area, and all they found were tracks heading towards the border. The footprints disappeared in Mirror Lake."

"So you're saying... he entered Svek's territory?" Savannah tore her eyes from Zion's and honed in on her dad. She'd only been half-listening while her parents and border guards discussed the issue, and had instead been trading silent messages to her mate with only their eyes. She could practically hear his voice in her head already as their bond strengthened due to their marks.

"It's a possibility. That's why I waited til you were home to tell you. Alpha Svek isn't allowing anyone except you to pass into his territory to search for Hunter. I've already organised a team to go with you, so you can leave straight away."

"That won't be necessary." Zion stepped forward, wrapping his arm around Savannah's waist and tugging her to his side. "I'm going with her."

Kaiden took a step back, startled by the boldness in this young wolf before him. "You must be the Silver Rogue."

"He's not a rogue anymore," Savannah said emphatically, glaring at her father for even daring to call him that. "He's been forgiven. He and his gang. They will officially become members of my pack as soon as we can organise an acceptance ceremony."

Narrowing his eyes, the former Alpha of Forged Hearts gave Zion a cold stare, looking him up and down and clearly disproving of the way he held his daughter so posessively. "So? Just because they say they'll become one of us, doesn't mean their actions will be sincere. How can I be sure they are trustworthy?"

"Sir, my actions have already proved you can trust me," Zion replied, his voice deep and carrying across the field, reaching everyone in the vicinity. Many pack members had gathered, curious to meet the rogues who were to join them. "I would rather cut off my own hand than do anything to hurt Savannah or her family."

"Well." Kaiden lifted his chin, taking a long minute to choose his next words. The weight of the moment had Savannah's heart pounding, desperate for her mate to be accepted by her father and the rest of the family. She knew by bringing him here, it would cause conflict. Not everyone could forgive and forget the crimes and pain caused by the Silver Rogue and his dangerous gang. Not everyone could love him like she did.