57 | Take That Back

6060 words

Zion emitted a low growl, the sound tangible as vibrations like an earthquake tremble. "I left him alive for a reason. Now you're telling me he's dead? If your people start to accuse me--"

"That's not going to happen," Persia immediately assured, her tone firm despite the pain etching it.

"How can we believe you? If Vinlarhk comes marching here in retribution for its Prince's death, my pack could be decimated. We did the right thing and let him walk despite how much pain he's caused us," Savannah spoke boldly, squeezing Zion's hand to remind him she had his back. 

His heartache seeped through their bond, and she knew how hard it was for him to contain his emotions in the face of Persia's news. For so long he'd sought the death of his mate's killer, and now that Parthia really was gone, a part of him would feel peace. But the repercussions could be catastrophic to their pack if Vinlarhk decided Zion was to blame, and demanded their own form of justice.

"It's not like that," Persia faced her and replied with emotion no longer in her voice. The dark expression on her face did well to mask her true feelings. "He didn't die from the injuries you caused. We brought him home to be treated by our best royal doctors."

Savannah reminded herself it was Persia's own brother she was talking about, and despite his cruel and ruthless actions, somewhere deep down she must be mourning his loss.

"So then, how did he die?" Zion asked, his jaw clenched and his words measured.

"He was humiliated...despised...once everyone found out what he'd done to you. Our mother had him imprisoned for his crimes, deeming them treason against our own kingdom. Parthia insisted he did it to ensure the safety of our throne, but Mother wasn't fooled by his words, instead seeing the selfish monster he had become. So..." Persia's voice caught, and Cale took a step forward as if his presence alone might lend her strength. Her eyes met his, and her shoulders straightened with fortification. "We found him dead in his cell two days ago. He'd slit his own throat with his one good hand."

Savannah couldn't stop the shiver that ran down her spine as she recalled the sight of Parthia once Zion was through with him. Blood had coursed down his face from his missing eye, and his wrist hung jagged where his hand had been ripped off.

"I don't expect you to offer condolences," Persia continued, her professional façade cracking to display the grief in her soul. Her voice wavered, and her eyes dropped to the grass under her feet as she swallowed hard. "After everything he did to you, I suppose you wish to rejoice--"

The sadness in her voice became muffled as Cale closed the space between them and enveloped her in his arms. Savannah watched as the princess held herself stiffly before finally relenting to Cale's embrace. Her arms slowly wrapped around him, and her shoulders shook in silent sobs as she finally recognised the bond between them and accepted the comfort he offered.

"None of us are rejoicing, Persia," Cale told her quietly. "We all feel pain, just for different reasons. But as a pack we can share our pain with each other, so no one is alone in grief."

"How..." She pulled back and hastily wiped her face, trying but failing to remove the tears on her cheeks. "After everything my brother did to you, how can you be so kind to me?"

Cale rested his hands tenderly on each side of her face as he wiped her tears away. "Because you're my mate, and I'll never turn my back on you. Parthia may have been your brother by blood, but I know you're not like him. We are so much more than the blood bonds between us. The family we choose is often more important than the one we are born into. I've seen whose side you're on, Persia, and I will stand by you no matter what."