32

A•V•A

My feet lead my toward a small gas station, the lights seem to flicker outside as I approach. I push opened the class door, a bell jingling to alert the clerk that someone has entered the building. I hear the desk, only to be met with an older man, his hair nearly white, and wrinkles littering his face.

"Can I help you miss?" The man asked and I nod my head.

"Do you have.. do you have a phone I could use?" I question meekly.

The man gives me a look, rolling his eyes, "sure, if you purchase something." The man seems to smirk and I resist the urge to roll my eyes.

"Please, I don't have any money on me." I mentally slap myself, I should've grabbed my bag before leaving.

"Well, I suppose you can't use the phone then." The man chuckles and I finally roll my eyes.

I clearly should've thought this over before leaving, but I was so upset that I didn't think about anything before rushing out.

"Fine." I purse my lips, exiting the shitty gas station.

I let out a sigh once the cool December air hits my skin again, wishing I would've worn warmer clothes today. I near the side of the gas station, slumping down the wall until my bum hits the ground. Tears threaten to spill from my eyes as I think of my current situation, I'm cold, I'm lost, and there's no one to help me. I've really messed up this time. Plus I'm sure Luke doesn't even care, I'm sure he thinks I went home, like I should've.

I let a few tears slip down my face before brushing them away with my cold fingers. I stuff my hands into my jacket pockets, attempting to warm them.

I watch as I car pulls into the parking lot, nearing one of the gas pumps. The car seems slightly familiar, but I can't seem to remember where I've seen it before. Moments later, a man gets out of the car and I immediately recognize him. His brown curls bounce as he enters the building, paying for the gas he's going to put into his vehicle, I assume.

I wait for him to come outside and I stand to my feet, approaching his car as he does.

"Excuse me?" I speak softly, hoping to grab his attention.

The man, Harry, turns around quickly. A frown covering his face.

"Oh doll, what are you doing in this part of town?" He questions and I sigh softly.

"I uhm, it doesn't matter." I quickly avoid the question, not wanting to share too much. My problems are childish, "Could you uhm.. could you give me a ride please?" I hang my head in shame as I ask.

I watch as Harry grabs the gas pump, putting it into his vehicle, then turning back to face me.

"Of course, sweetheart. Are you lost?" He questions and I nod. 

"I just lost track of where I was going." I answer truthfully.

Harry puts the gas pump back into the machine and closed the little door that hides the gas casket. "Come on them." He walks around the the driver's side of the car, getting inside of the vehicle.

I follow suit, getting into the passenger seat. I look around the car for a moment, "where's your daughter?" I ask.

"Oh she's with the babysitter, I was going out by myself tonight." Harry chuckles, starting the car and driving off down the road.

"Thank you for helping me," I pause, "again." I feel bad, I didn't mean to bother him, especially if he was already busy.

Harry shakes his head, glancing over at me for a moment, "it's really no problem." I see him smile and the action makes me blush for some reason.