22

A•V•A

Its nearly the end of November now, meaning I've got a break from school tomorrow, for two weeks. I'm quite excited honestly, while I enjoy school, it's nice to get some time off. Plus my mother is coming home for thanksgiving. I'm excited to see her, it's been way too long! She's even bringing her boyfriend, Charles home to meet me. Right now, I'm sat in my English class at school, chatting with Elsa as there's not much to do. "I'm so excited to get out of this fucking place." Elsa laughs.

"Me too, it'll be nice." I smile at her, "Maybe we could hang out over break!"

"That would be nice, I hardly see you anymore." She playfully hits my shoulder.

"I've been busy!" I defend.

"With what? Fucking your babysitting?" She snickers in a playful manner. "Elsa, I don't even like him like that!" I gasp.

She nods her head, playfully rolling her eyes, "C'mon you told me about your little movie date with him!"

"It wasn't a date," I groan, "he just took me out to be nice!"

Elsa seems to have caught onto Luke and I's relationship, if you could even call it that. Luke and I both care for each other, but I wouldn't call him my boyfriend. He's a bit older, nearly 10 years older than me, as he's 25 and I'm only 18. The bell ringing draws me from my thoughts. Elsa and I go our separate ways, agreeing to hang out over the break.

I exit the school building once I collect my things and look around for Luke's vehicle. I frown when I can't spot it and stand on my tippy toes to get a better view.

"There you are!" I hear a voice shout towards me and I turn around to see my mother's car.

"Mom!" I rush towards her car, standing by the driver seat window, "I thought you'd be back tomorrow!"

"I decided to come early so I could pick you up," she smiles, "get in the back!"

I do as she says and get into the back seat of the car. Once inside I spot a man, Charles sitting in the passenger seat.

"It's nice to meet you." I greet him shyly.

"You too, your mother talks about you all the time!" Charles chuckles and I smile.

"Only good things, I hope." I blush slightly at this, hoping my mother hasn't told her lover anything to embarrassing.

My mother takes off down the road and the car is filled with chatter. Charles talking about his life, my mother leaving comments here and there, and myself listening mostly.  Soon, we arrive at my home, which is quite odd considering I've been over at Luke's for so long.

"The house looks so clean!" My mother boasts as we step inside.

"I've been keeping it clean, surprisingly." A small laugh escapes my lips as I tease my mother.

Charles sits on the couch and my mother accompanied him. I decide to sit on the chair aside the couch, not wanting to intrude.

"Luke tells me you've made some new friends?" My mother asks, slipping her purse from her shoulder and sitting it on the table.

"Only one, her name is Rose." I smile, "She was a new student at school and I thought it would be nice for her to have a friend." I boast. My mother nods in approval and flashes me a smile.

"That's great, baby. I'm glad you're making more friends. I know you don't have many."

"Yeah," I smile, chuckling awkwardly, "only two now."

"So honey," my mother begins, hopefully changing the subject, "Charles and I have some news!"  I take a deep breathe, preparing myself for whatever my mother is going to tell me.

"I knew it seems a bit soon, but Charles and I have decided to get married!" My mother says excitedly.

My jaw drops the moment my mother says this. I knew she liked Charles, but I didn't know she loved him in that way. My mother hasn't had a boyfriend since my father left, and I was only three years old at that point. I'm shocked if I'm honest.

"W..What do you mean? When?" I gasp softly.

"Not for a few months dear, I just wanted to tell you now. Relax." My mother attempts to soothe me in my shocked state. I glance over at Charles to see him giving me an awkward smile.

"You better treat my mother like a goddess." I say to Charles, meaning exactly what I said.

"Of course." He let's out a deep chuckle.  My mother begins to tell me all the details she's worked out so far, what type of dress she'd like to wear, all of the small things.

"Where are you wanting to do this?" I finally ask.

"Well," she pauses, "I was thinking in California, where Charles' family is. I thought it would be nice to get away." My mother smiles and grabs Charles hand, holding it in her smaller one.  I don't really care to go on a vacation to California for her wedding, but I don't mind.  I don't like the idea of leaving Luke behind though, maybe my mother would allow him to tag along for some reason, though I doubt it.

"Oh mom! I wanted to ask you something, while we're here talking." I smile.

"Of course honey, what is it?" My mother muses.

"I was hoping Luke could come over for thanksgiving? He doesn't have any family around here." I bite my lip softly, awaiting her answer.  My mother looks over at Charles for a moment before speaking, "I think that would be just fine." She smiles.

"Really? Thank you momma!" I smile, jumping up to give her a hug.

"It seems you've grown to enjoy Luke's company?" My mother asks and I nod softly.

"Of course, he's very nice." My cheeks flush red.

My mother gives me an odd look, but doesn't question be further.

I'm quite nervous for thanksgiving, but I think it will be nice.