4

A•V•A

I've spent about 3 hours at Elsa house, we ended up listening to music and painting. It's been really nice, but if I'm honest, I'm getting a bit socially drained. It's one thing I hated about myself, after a few hours out, I always find myself growing tired.

"I'm getting a bit tired, Elsa." A yawn escapes my lips and I cover my mouth with my hand. I hope she doesn't think I'm being rude, I'm only being honest.

She looks over at me from her closet and I notice she's putting on a different outfit. "Don't worry, I think I need to leave after I finish changing." She assured me and I nod.

"Trying to get rid of me?" I tease and she lets out a laugh, shaking her head. "Of course I am!" She teases back and I roll my eyes playfully. After a few minutes she emerges from her closet, now dressed in a black t-shirt, denim jack, and a checkered skirt.

"How do I look?" She questions, admitting herself in the mirror hung in her closet. I give her another look over. "Lovely as always!" I chime in. The style of her clothes definitely isn't something for me, but it suits her.

"Thank you for hanging out with me today, it's been a while!" Elsa says, turning to me now.

We both say our goodbyes and coincidentally end up walking to the front door at the same time. We share a hug before I address her one last time.

"Well, I should head home, thank you for having me over!" I say lovingly, giving her a smile.  She's quick to respond, "Yeah, I should head out soon." Elsa beams, adjusting her Jean jacket.  I hug her once more before heading downstairs. "Bye Susan!" I shout to Elsa mother as I exit the house and she offers me a wave.

I step outside and a frown covers my pale lips. The October air chills me to the bone and I let out a gasp, pulling on my sweater. I rush down the street, wanting to make my way to my house as fast as possible. The wind wisps through my hair, pushing it into my face.   I let out a groan as I attempt to push my hair back into place and out of my face.

I soon find myself nearing my street and I let out a sigh of relief. I glance over to Luke's house and a frown covers my lips as I realize he's not outside, not that I blame him. It is quite cold out here. Finally, I make my way into my house and the warmth immediately engulfs me.

"Hey mom." I greet my mother as I enter the house. I turn around and my eyebrows knit together for a moment.  "Oh?" I let out a confused sound as I realize someone else is inside the house. I can hear a muffled voice, but it definitely doesn't match Moms.

I enter the kitchen and much to my surprise, I find my mother conversing with none other than, Luke. "Oh honey! This is our neighbor, Luke!" Mom chimes in, flashing me a smile.  I offer him a small hello and nod. This was a bit awkward. I wasn't sure if I should mention the fact that I had already met him or not.

"He said he's noticed you walking to school," my mother continues and I nod, acknowledging her— hoping she'll get out what she's trying to say in a timely manner, "-and he offered to drive you there when you need." My mother finishes, flashing Luke a smile now. This whole conversation felt a bit awkward.

"Oh, thank you." I reply meekly, glancing towards Luke. I could feel my cheeks become hot so I avoided his gaze.

"Isn't that nice of him? I hate letting you walk to school, but I'm hardly ever home when you leave." Mom says sympathetically and I nod. She was right, she's hardly home when I leave for school, but that's not her fault.  "It's really no problem," Luke jumps in, "If I had a daughter, I'd hate for her to have to walk." Luke finishes, a devilish smile covering his lips. I wonder if my mother noticed.

"Well, thank you." My mother interjects, patting him on the shoulder. I didn't love seeing her touch him, even if it was in a friendly manner. I decided to bite my tongue on that subject and avoid my feelings for a while.

"Ava, help me set the table please. I invited Luke in for dinner."

The 3 of us ate dinner after I set the table. It was nice to have a real, home cooked meal, but I felt tense the whole time. I was glad when things finally Seemed to come to an end.

As we all sit at the table, our bellies full from eating my mother's food, Luke finally breaks the silence. I was very thankful he had spoken up. I wanted to lay down more than anything.

"Well, I really should be going. It's getting quite late." Luke says, glancing at his watch. I watched his expression and it was hard for me to read.

My mother offers him a nod and grabs the plates from the table, making her way to the kitchen. "Ava, why don't you walk Mr.Hemmings out?" My mother insists and I give her a simple nod.

Luke stands from the table and I do the same, following him to the door. "Thank you for stopping by, and thank you for offering to give me rides to school." I beam as he nears me. I couldn't help but give him a smile. I enjoyed being close to him, even if it was improper.

"It's no problem at all, Sweetheart." He flashes me a smile, his hand patting my lower back. I find myself blushing at the contact, I don't know why. The nickname he called me made my heart flutter for a moment.

"I'll be seeing a lot more of you, won't I sweetheart?" Luke smirks, exiting the house. He doesn't say another word as he walks away, leave me almost breathless.  I'm left at the door, my cheeks flashing red as I watch him walk across the street to his own home. Why does he make me feel so hot and bothered? It's a strange feelings, and I find myself wanting more everytime.