20

A•V•A

I get into the strangers car, despite my better judgment. He does seem friendly though, so I'm not too worried. "Where am I taking you?" The man questions. I tell him my address and he inputs it into the GPS. Soon, the car starts and we're driving to my house. "So, what's your name, lovely?" The man asks, glancing over at me. "I'm Ava." I say softly. I can hear his daughter in the backseat playing and I smile creeps onto my face, "and you are?"

"I'm Harry." The man flashes me a smile, looking at his daughter in the rear view mirror, "and that's Darcy." I look back at the little girl in her car seat. "She's very cute." I smile softly, feeling a bit awkward.

Finally, we near my house and I exit the car. Harry rolls down the window, giving me a second to get out. "Thank you for the ride, Harry. I appreciate it." I smile, running my fingers through my hair. "Anytime, I hope you're alright." He gives me a smile.

We say our goodbyes, and soon enough he's gone and I'm left alone in front of my house. I glance across the street, to see Luke's car home, another car behind his I don't recognize. I desperately want to go over there and talk to him, but I just can't. I check for the spare key to my house in the mailbox, and once I've acquired it, I go inside.

Once inside, I head to my room and change out of my clothes, putting on a pair of black sweatpants and an old t-shirt. I glance at the clock and realize it's nearly 9pm, so I go to the kitchen to grab some food. After rummaging through the cabinets for a while, I find some macaroni and cheese, and decide I'll have that. After eating, I sit down on the couch and decide to watch a movie, as I've got nothing else to do tonight.

As the film flashes on the screen, I feel tears stream down my cheeks. Realization hits of all the events that have happened these past few weeks. Luke and I kissed, Luke and I did naughty things, and I'm think I'm starting to fall for him. I let myself cry for quite a while, hardly able to see the television. My tears blur my vision, but I brush them away soon enough. I begin to calm down, my dried tears staining my pink cheeks.

Suddenly, my phone rings on the table and I see a FaceTime call from my mother. I quickly straighten up, wiping my face and attempting to collect myself one final time. I press answer and my mother's face appears on the screen, along with a man.

"Oh hey sweetie!" My mother says and I put on a smile. I sure hope it's a believable one.  "Hey momma, how are things?" I ask, attempting to look happy.

"Things are lovely baby! This is Charles, I met him when I first arrived!" My mother gushes and the man waves. "Your mother talks about you a lot, it's nice to finally meet you!" The ginger man, Charles says.

"It's nice to meet you too." I say politely, letting a yawn slip past my lips, though I cover my mouth. "Is everything okay, lovey? You look very tired." My mother questions and I nod. "I'm okay," I pause, thinking of what to say, "just a long day. I've been studying a lot lately." I sigh and my mother nods.

"That's a good girl, I'm glad you're focusing on school." My mother praises me and I nod. I really should stop lying to her, but she seems very happy and I don't want to ruin things right now. "When do you think you'll be back?" I question, changing the subject.

"I'm not sure, honey. I've got to stay for at least a few months. Maybe until February?" She says, pushing her chocolate hair from her face. I nod my head, unable to think of a response.

"You look tired, I'm going to let you get some rest, Ava-bug." My mother says and I shake my head, letting a small laugh escape my lips. "Mom, don't call me that. I'm 18 years old."

Mother let's out a laugh, "you're still my baby!" She defends and I nod. I hate that everyone refers to me as a baby. I'm not a baby.  "Well, I love you. Talk to you soon, okay?" My mother says.

"I love you too momma, have a good night." The phone call ends and I stare at the tv for a few minutes. My vision blurs for a moment as a single tear falls down my cheeks.

Why did everything have to change so quickly?