7

A•V•A

I take my time to settle into Luke's house before doing much else. I've been sat on his couch watching tv for about an hour now. I hope he didn't mind.

"Could I have a shower here, if you don't mind?" I question, averting my eyes toward Luke, who's sat on the other end of the black colored couch. "Of course, Darling. Let me show you where it is." He offers, standing to his feet and walking down the hall. I trail behind him.

Luke leads me to what looks like a bedroom and I furrow my eyebrows. This definitely wasn't a bathroom.  "Bathroom is through that door." Luke motions to a door located in the plain bedroom we're standing in. "This is my room, it's connected." Luke let's out a small chuckle and I nod.

"Okay, thank you." I smile before disappearing into the bathroom. I quickly undress and step onto the shower. It takes me a second to figure out how to work his shower, but I manage after a few minutes.

The hot water rains down on me and I attempt to relax my body, enjoying myself. I rummage through the shampoo bottles in the shower but I can only seem to find 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner. I groan before using it. I hate using 2-in-1, it always makes my hair messy and weird.

After a while, I get out of the shower and get dressed in my pajama shorts and top. I take a moment to look over myself in the mirror before exiting the bathroom.

When I open the door, I'm met with Luke's empty bedroom. I didn't really expect him to still he in here anyways. I take this time alone to examine his room, the walls match the living room, white and barren. He doesn't seem to like to decorate. The bed is clad with a simple grey duvet and black sheets, the pillow cases matching.

There's also two mahogany nightstands on either side of the bed, and a dresser. That's pretty much all. I make my way out of Luke's room and down to the kitchen, not wanting to linger too long.

"There you are." He smiles and I nod softly, returning the smile. I brush my fingers though my messy hair.  "Thank you for letting me have a shower." I smile, "I'm getting a bit tired, did you want me to sleep here?" I yawn, motioning toward the couch.

"Oh no, I'll sleep here. You can take my bed." He says, standing from the couch, placing the beer he's drinking on the side table. I wonder what beer tastes like, I've never had it before. It smells yucky so maybe it's not very good.

I find myself feeling bad, he shouldn't have to sleep on the couch, this is his home, not mine.  "What? No, I couldn't.." I trail off, a pink tint covering my cheeks now.

"Please doll, I insist. I want you to feel comfortable." He pushes, giving me a look my mother would give me when I'm misbehaving. "Okay." I give in, not wanting to upset him. "Good girl." He praises and my cheeks flash red.

I don't know why that made me so flustered, for some reason Luke makes me flustered a lot.  I've never felt this way before, especially by a boy, but I like it. It makes me feel grown up.

"I'm going out for a cigarette. Care to join me?" Luke questions and I nod. Luke makes his way to the front porch and I trail behind him. Once we sit in the chairs, Luke pulls out a cigarette and lights it.

"If you'd like one, I won't tell your mom." Luke flashes me a smirk and I quickly shake my head no, scrunching my nose up at the thought of myself smoking. My mother always told me horror stories of people getting lung cancer and I'd never want that to happen. "You shouldn't smoke Luke," I frown, "My mom says that people get cancer from them."

Luke takes a drag from his cigarette then blows the smoke out, ashing onto the concrete. "Don't worry about me, I'm fine sweetheart." Luke says and I roll my eyes.

I don't want him to get hurt or sick, he's really nice to me. Plus he's kind of my friend now, right?

"Don't be upset." He says, his voice coming out in a stern, yet caring manner. I know I shouldn't be upset, he's a grown adult and can do whatever he'd like.  "Sorry, I just worry a lot." I breathe out and Luke's hand brushes my thigh.

"Well, you don't have to worry about me." He flashes me a cheeky smile. Luke and I sit on the porch for another 10 minutes before I start to shiver. "I'm cold." I let out a whine, hugging myself.

"Here, have my coat." Luke slips his coat off of his shoulders and places it over mine. "But you'll be cold." I let out another whine.

"As I said, don't worry about me." He gives me a goofy smile and I giggle at this.Luke finally finishes his cigarette and I rush back inside as soon as he opens the door.

"You should get some sleep, school tomorrow, yeah?" Luke says and I nod. "Let me take you up to the bedroom, wouldn't want you to be tired in the morning." I nod again and Luke ushers me to his bedroom.

Luke pulls back the covers and I slip under them, already enjoying the warmth. "Get some sleep, Ava. I'll wake you up in the morning." Luke smiles and exits the room. A part of me wanted him to stay, but the other, rational part of me, knew that wasn't okay.

I take a moment to plug my phone in and set an alarm before I fall asleep. After just a few minutes, sleep takes over.

Everything is dark and I'm very cold. I look around and suddenly recognize my surroundings. I'm in my closet, hiding. I begin to panic, because I can't move. I can't make a sound. The only things I can do it is sit here.

I hear people talking in the distance and I want to scream out, but my voice won't allow me. The closet door bursts opened and I'm met with the face of a man I've never met before. His eyes have dark circles under them, and he's got a large scar running across his cheek. His very tall and large, also bald. I shrink back into the closet further, my fear only growing larger.

Suddenly the man reaches out for me and I try to let out a scream, alerting someone to what's happening, but still nothing comes out.

I peak past the large man to see my mother lying on the floor in a lifeless state. Tears silently stream down my face.

"You're next." The man says in a sinister voice and all I can let out is a whimper.

He grabs onto me, ripping me from the closet as a scream finally escapes my lips.

I jolt awake, my body feeling hot and sweaty. I frantically look around, panicking as I realize I'm not in my bedroom. The bedroom door busts open and a very concerned Luke enters the room.

I'm in Luke's house. I'm safe.

"Are you okay?" He quickly questions and I feel tears stream down my cheeks.

"Oh doll, don't cry." Luke sits on the bed and I begin to sob, still shaken up from my dream. I haven't had a bad dream like that in along time.

Mom is usually there to comfort me, but not tonight. She usually cuddles me to sleep after I have a nightmare, but I don't think Luke would do the same. Tears continue to fall from my eyes as Luke pulls me into his chest.

"It's okay, you're safe." Luke whispers into my hair and I let out a soft whimper, attempting to catch my breath finally. After several minutes, I finally catch my breath and begin to calm down. I avoid Luke's gaze, embarrassed by my childish behavior. Luke continues to rub my back, not speaking for a while.

"Are you alright?" He finally asks and I nod. I tri to speak, but my words come out shaky, "I'm fine, s..sorry." I mutter out and he shakes his head. "Don't be." He interjects, "We all have bad dreams sometimes." After comforting me for an hour Luke finally stands to leave the room and sleep on the couch again. I really didn't want him to leave, I wanted him to hold me until I fell asleep. "Goodnight, Ava." Luke says as he stands by the door, and I pout.

"Wait!" I blurt out, "S..stay with me?" I question, a blush covering my cheeks. Luke furrows his eyebrows for a moment, giving me a look. "I uh.. I don't think that's appropriate, doll."

I frown as Luke says this. Why would it be inappropriate? I just had a nightmare and I need someone to make sure I'm okay. "Please?" I whine, pouting my lips. After a moment, Luke gives in, muttering a quick 'fine' before joining me in his bed.

"God, please don't tell your mother about this." Luke groans before pulling me closer.

"Okay." I say contently and drift to sleep again.