C H A P T E R 12

12| The Mafia King

I watched them out there near the pool, all three of them wearing an innocent smile on their faces

Toby was playing shape of you on the guitar, his magical voice dancing in the crisp night air while Liam twirled Vittoria as they danced to his beat. I always fail to understand this girl.

Vittoria.

Looked like her name had all the intentions of permanently settling on my lips. Was she really so innocent? No, she wasn't. She was hiding something for sure. What is it? I will find it out one day.

"What is she doing?" I whispered to myself.

"To you?" I heard a stern, almost accusing voice speak from next to me. I didn't even realize when Oliver sat next to me.

I masked it by irritation. "No. Just what is she doing?" I scrunched up my face.

"This is called dancing, you know?" Oliver smiled, his eyes fixated on Vittoria. Wait, he smiled? But it went away as soon as it came.

"Oliver?"

"Hmm."

"Do you think I made a mistake?" I tried to hide the hurt in my voice.

"About what?"

"About them." I nodded my head towards Toby and Liam. "Look at them. This is what they deserve. A normal life. Not the one like us. I've never seen them so happy. And this feels right. I shouldn't have dragged them in this dangerous life."

"Don't blame yourself Rafael. There's nothing you could've done. Whom would they go to if you didn't take them with you?" He tried to reason.

"There's always something we can do. We just chose the easier way out giving ourselves a million reasons as to why we couldn't. I will never be able to forgive myself if anything ever happened to them."

He placed a reassuring hand over my shoulder. "You've promised to keep them safe. You never break promises."

"I even promised to find your sister and to keep her safe."

"And you will. I know you will." He said with immense confidence.

"What do you think will happen when they know the truth?" My mind went back to that cursed day. I shut my eyes tightly to get those memories out.

"They're your brothers. They'll understand." Came Oliver's confident reply.

Will they really? I asked to myself. Sometimes it was scary how much these people trusted me. There's a constant pressure of not failing them. I think I was getting weaker every day. And I could under no circumstances afford that.

Vittoria was right. I couldn't even protect my company from my own employee. I still haven't found out that rat, neither have I got any success with that Mason.