C H A P T E R 22

22| Breaking The Code

I turned back to the source of the helpless cries and watched her getting tugged down the stairs quite disrespectfully

I turned back to the source of the helpless cries and watched her getting tugged down the stairs quite disrespectfully. An unknown fury formed within me seeing her that way. I noticed the red marks from Travis's fingers wrapped around her delicate wrists.

"Get your damn hands off." I seethed.

If anyone's ever going to mark her, it's going to me. No fucking one is even allowed to touch her. The possessiveness I feel towards her wa crazy dangerous. But at the moment, I didn't care at all.

He let go immediately, his face almost like he would shit his pants. "I'm sorry boss. She was running away."

"Get the fuck away before I shoot you."

He ran for his life leaving me alone here with a very petrified Vittoria. I wonder what happened to have her trembling like that. I honestly hated it when she was afraid of me. Don't know how she managed to be a paradox but somehow she always had a way to negate every belief that I thought was correct until today.

And I was afraid of it. I was afraid of the indecisiveness I felt with her. I don't know why I allow myself to drift away this way when I know this will only end up with everyone getting hurt. Every single one of us.

"Vittoria." I took a cautious step forward, afraid to scare her more than she already was.

"No." She retraced her steps. "Please don't kill me."

"Calm down Vittoria, I'm not going to hurt you, I promise. Just listen to me." I spoke softly.

Looked like it was working. She stopped moving away and allowed me to hold her steady. She was too weak to even stand.

"You...you aren't going to execute me right here? You're not going to k-kill me?" She asked shakily.

Her state was pitiful. Her eyes were all swollen and red, cheeks stained with tears and hair jumbled in a mess. Yet she managed to mesmerize me like she always did. I felt something I had never felt in years.

Hurt. For someone else.

I wanted nothing more than to hold her with a promise to never let go. But I was afraid I won't be able to back off if I did that.

"Rafael." She sobbed my name and I lost all my resolve right there.

Fuck it! I pulled her into me and secured her petite frame into my arms. Her body fitted just right against me like she was meant for to be mine.

"This is too much." She cried.

I gently ran my fingers through her silky locks. Don't know if that helped her, but it surely did to me. What was I thinking when I decided to choose the Code over her? When the moment actually arrived I couldn't do it. I couldn't kill her.