C H A P T E R 68

68 | To Forgive Or Not To Forgive

You hate him, Vittoria.

Just pull the damn trigger.

No don't you dare start crying.

He'll be gone for good.

I held the gun more tightly, taking deep breaths to convince myself. After a while I couldn't breathe at all. Tears began to blur my vision and just like that the gun slipped away from my shivering hands.

"Vittoria." Rafael whispered softly, caressing my arm.

"Don't." I flinched at his touch.

Climbing off him I ran straight inside, afraid to meet anyone's eyes. I knew this would be embarrassing but I couldn't stop myself. I don't know why I keep doing this to myself.

"Wait Vittoria, please." Oliver held my hand, guiding me to the couch. I found myself collapsing over it, too weak to stand for a second longer.

"Go ahead. Laugh at me. I'm a joke to you isn't it?"

"No don't say that." Rafael crouched down, placing a hand on my knee.

"Don't touch me." I pulled my legs up, hugging them to my chest. Nothing they say or do could make things right. My body had gone numb but my heart ached like it was being slashed by a million daggers.

"You all keep lying to me all the time. You say you won't but then you it again. And I keep forgiving you every single time like a fool that I am. Is that why you take me for granted?"

"It's not like that." Oliver sighed. "How would I have broken the news to you? I know I wouldn't be able to hide it from you forever but.." He trailed off.

"But what?"

He didn't speak.

"Don't have an answer, do you? What about you, Rafael? I'm sure you'd have a very convincing reason for lying."

"I didn't want to lose you." He replied immediately.

"You didn't-" I scoffed.

Here I was thinking I was the only one to have gone batshit crazy. Glad to know I've got company.

"How are you okay with this, Oliver?" I screeched, disbelieved.

"I never said I was okay. I tried to stop him. And you too." He said in his defense.

"Well you told me I couldn't be with him because he's your best friend and that is restricted territory." I yelled.

Toby draped a blanket over my cold body, it's warmth feeling like a shield against their madness.

"My brother." I looked at Oliver. "My friends." I moved my eyes towards the twins. "And then there's him." I spat with disgust. "Tell me. Was it entertaining seeing me fall in love with an engaged man and make a fool of myself? I hope it was worth your while."