C H A P T E R 29

29 | A New Face

Oliver's stony face remained unmoved at my confession

However, that wasn't the case with Vittoria. She caught her breath, perturbed by the bitter truth in my statement. I doubt if she'll ever see me the same was as before.

"You better have an acceptable explanation to your action." Oliver stated flatly.

The calmness in his tone left Vittoria all muddled up. She jumped up, disbelieved while I exhaled a held in breath.

He's mad at me, I get it. But at least he doesn't hate me.

"You might be needing a beauty sleep, muffin." Oliver subtly asked her to to leave but Vittoria being Vittoria...

"I don't think so. I'm pretty even without it." She chuckled nervously, subtly reminding us how stubborn she is.

"You know what curiosity did to the cat, don't you." He said.

"It most certainly did not make it fly." I commented, hoping to get a reaction from her. I didn't.

I couldn't figure out what's going on in her head. Was she afraid of me, pissed at me, or was she regretting her decision to trust me? I couldn't tell.

"Fine! I'm going." She stomped up to her room.

"Were you really going to hand my sister over to Nikolai?" Oliver gritted.

To say I'm stunned was an understatement. But more than that, I was hurt.

"I thought you trusted me." I stated.

"You are in one piece because I trust you." He scoffed. "Now cut this crap and start talking because I'm very close to losing my patience."

"Do I even need to explain it to you Oliver?"

I got no reply other than a hard stare from him.

"You heard what Caleb said. He wants Ava to pressurize you into signing the revised memorandum. It needs the consent of all six Members. Nikolai, Allegra and Luca are already willing to do it. But they know we are against it. So they use our weaknesses. It's what they do best. They'll use my brothers against me and Ava against you, considering she's the only thing they have currently." I said.

He shook his head, disappointed. "Either you think I'm a fool or you're just stalling me. I know this already Rafael. I'm asking why did you agree to it?"

"Because I didn't want them to look for her. What if they found her before us? As crazy as it sounds, but I think they won't put in efforts from their side if they outsource it to me. I wanted to make him believe that I have agreed to it." I said.

He still looked skeptical.

"Think Oliver, why do you think he saw the need to scheme me into it? It's because he tried and he failed. He couldn't find her and that's good news for us but we can't risk it."