Twenty-Three

A/N: I don't think disclosure is needed, but I will say it anyway; I am not a therapist or a counselor; the below is solely for the purpose of my work and what is fitting for my storyline. If this is your field of work, respect to you!

*******

"He will be here soon." Jungkook gave the therapist an apologetic smile as they waited for Jin to join. It was their first session with the counselor; Jin was running half an hour late but texted Jungkook that he would be there.

The therapist gave Jungkook a smile and nodded, "I will get some coffee. Would you like some?"

Jungkook shook his head, "no, I am good, thanks."

As the therapist leaves excuses himself from the room, Jungkook sighed, "this is not going to wor-"

"I am so sorry!" Jin rushes into the room, giving Jungkook an apologetic stare as he goes and sits in the chair next to him. "My meeting ran over and-"

"Ahh, finally, we have you both here. I am having coffee. Would you like some?"

Jin gave a smile, "no, I am okay, Dr. Chye, sorry I am late. My assistant double booked my schedule, and it was a nightmare, but happy I am here now."

Dr. Chye sat in his seat and nodded, "Understood. Let's be mindful of that time next time as though I am being paid for the two hours; I much rather do my job than sit in silence and stare at your husband. Now, if either of you doesn't have any questions or comments, why don't we begin."

Standing up, Dr. Chye brings over two notebooks and a folder to them. "This notebook, you will document any thoughts, questions, or matters you want to discuss during our sessions together. The folder holds various activities and things we will cover. Also, there you will find a list of questions we will discuss together. It is more for you than it is for me. Therefore, before our next session, I highly recommend you come with questions of your own and share with me what you would like for us to talk about.

Once you have time to look through everything, please ask any questions you have and share your concerns with me. Now, in an effort for me to help you better, I need you to take five minutes and write down what are the biggest problems in your marriage. When you are done, bring me what you have written."

Moving from in front of the two, Dr. Chye returned to his seat and observed the two; he saw how often Jin glanced at Jungkook as he wrote on his paper. After five minutes, he called for them to bring their paper individually, then he took a look at what they had both written before placing the papers in a file folder he had created for them.

"Thank you for doing that; I will use what you have written to tailor the way we go about our sessions. Before we continue further, I have one crucial question; although I don't believe we would be here if it weren't the case, I have seen varying results. Therefore, I need to ask. Please note that this is not a question you need to answer aloud, as it is more so for you than I. Do you want to stay together? Throughout our sessions, I want you to keep that in mind, and you will hear me ask that repeatedly, Do you want to stay together? Because if the answer is already no, there is no purpose in us doing this as nothing I do, or no matter the effort you put in, it will not change what you have already decided.

As I have said, it's not a question for you to answer out loud, but one for you to think on and really think about. The success of our sessions will be based on the answer to that question."

Jin and Jungkook stared at each other; neither said anything but only looked at each other, making Dr. Chye sigh. "Okay, as you think on that, I have another assignment that I need you both to complete before our next session. It is the Gottman Relationship Checkup; it's a questionnaire that will go hand in hand with the list you shared with me earlier to help provide me with valuable insight on the areas of conflict that require attention in your marriage. This will enable me to utilize my clinical expertise in determining the best recommendations specific to the challenges in your marriage.

You may refer to these things as issues, but I prefer the words challenges and obstacles, especially after looking at your list. I want to believe that you are here because you want to overcome and settle these challenges rather than signing a piece of paper and tossing your commitments and vows to one another in the trash."

"I don't want to get a divorce, I know you said to think about it and keep it personal to ourselves if we want to stay together, but I don't need to think about it. I know, I love my husband, and I don't want a divorce; it's why we are here because we want it to work," Jin said, speaking up; he wanted to make sure Jungkook knew where he stood.

Dr. Chye nodded his head, "Thanks for sharing that; and for highlighting that, now I have homework for you, and you will discover I have a lot of homework assignments, and I do this to challenge you to work for your marriage if it is what you want. As to keep something you have, you have to work to keep it. It's similar to our jobs, to keep it, we have to keep working, marriage, it's the same. A marriage without commitment, consistency, hard work, communication, flexibility to change, and effort is a dead marriage."

******

"Sorry I was late," Jin said to Jungkook as they walked out of the building. "There was an acquisition meeting and-"

"It's fine, Seokjin. I have to go; Ae Ri is getting out of school soon; I need to get her. By the way, whatever you have been doing with her, keep it up; she seems happier. This separation seems to be a good thing."

Jin was a bit offended by Jungkook's comment, "what do you mean it's a good thing? Living separately while our daughter goes from one home to another is not a good thing. I am sleeping in a separate bed, while you are sleeping god knows where! Don't think I don't realize how you are never available to talk on the weekends, and if Ae Ri calls you, you spend less than ten minutes on the phone with her. Let me make something very clear, Jungkook, we are separated, not divorce, so think twice before doing anything stupid!"

Jungkook sighs, "don't take my words and twist them; when I say it's a good thing, I mean it's a good thing because our daughter sees you as a father who cares, which I don't think that has happened, in, wait, that has never happened. And don't worry about where I am on the weekends or where I sleep. Focus on building a relationship with our daughter!"

"I have been doing that!"

"Good, keep doing it."

"So, are you cheating on me?"

Jungkook shook his head, "Seokjin if I were cheating on you, I wouldn't waste my time and come here today."

"Then where are you on the weekends? You know I see the alarm report, and I have been viewing how many times you go in and out of the house. Last Saturday, you were out since the morning and didn't go back home until close to midnight. Where were you?"

"I don't need to answer that, now goodbye, see you on Thursday."

"You do need to answer that because so help me, god, if you are cheating on me, Jungkook, you will regret it!"

"Why do you always think I am cheating, is that the only thing you are capable of accusing me with, or is that something you are familiar with doing?"

Jin's eyes widened, "I have never cheated on you! It was a kiss, a kiss I didn't want-"

"What kiss?"