Thirty-Eight

After a year and a half

Jungkook's Pov:

"No."

I stared into my son's eyes, unable to believe he had said no. "Nam-il, you must finish eating so that we can pick up your sister? The last thing we want is to be late picking her up."

While he wiped his messy palms into the front of his shirt, he stared back at me with his daring eyes. He was just a baby, but I knew he knew what was going on. "No." He repeats, smiling as he blows bubbles with his spit.

I breathed in deeply, sitting down on the table next to me, placed his food down on the table, and got up, holding him close to me, "that's it, back to the shower you go."

"No."

I ignored him; no, dog and dada were the only words he seemed to know, as that's all he said most of the time, so I didn't take it personally, since he was a baby who didn't know anything. However, I found it quite difficult to explain this to his sister when he broke her project for school. While I tried to tell her as a baby, she made a mess too and did many things as well, but she refused to believe me, and she was convinced he had it out for her.

I gave him his second bath for the day after taking him to the bathroom, put him in his clothes, and left the house twenty minutes later than I had hoped. I hope traffic won't delay me as I hate arriving late to pick up Ae Ri; although it happens rarely, it has happened a few times in the last year.

Nam-il fell asleep immediately as we pulled out of the driveway. He was known to do this very often, always to fall asleep once we started moving. In the car, I never had to worry about him being up and fussing. Since the day I got the green light to take him home from the hospital after spending three months there, he had been that way. No matter how long I drove, he would sleep the entire journey, but as soon as I stopped, he would wake up. A fascinating child, he was undoubtedly a blessing because every day I think about what could've been, but he never gave up and grew into a healthy baby.

In the end, I was extremely pleased to arrive at Ae Ri's school just on time because she had just left the school building and was walking toward the pickup spot, and I had arrived before her.

Looking around in the back, Nam-il was staring directly at me from the back seat, eyes open and chewing on two fingers with his mouth open. I smiled and shook my head at him as I knew very well that he would be sound asleep once we started driving again.

Ae Ri began getting closer to the car, and I exited the car from the driver's side and ran to the passenger's side to open the door for her. "How's my favorite daughter doing?" I asked her as I pulled her into a hug.

After returning my hug, she giggled, "I'm doing good. Did you bring me anything special?"

While shaking my head sadly, I mentioned, "I was running behind schedule and didn't get a chance to stop on the way here, but I will stop on the way to your therapist."

"It's okay, daddy, and we can stop on the way."

Always so understanding, I leaned down and gave a kiss on the forehead, "thank you, and sorry about that. Go ahead and get into the car; let's leave here now."

I ran back to the driver's side of the car and put on my seatbelt after getting into the car, and then I waited for Ae Ri to settle into her seat.

"Are you swamped with homework today? Do you have a lot to do?"

"There's not a lot, I finished one at lunch, and I still have two to go."

"Okay, that's good you don't have a lot today; I am available if you need me to help you." In most recent weeks, the teacher had given her a lot of homework, which I couldn't understand why so much, but hearing she didn't have much today made me happy, for rather than staying up late to finish homework, she needs to rest and sleep well.