23 - one that got away

Chapter Twenty-Three
ᴏɴᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɢᴏᴛ ᴀᴡᴀʏ

The dance, as Nora had predicted, went horribly wrong

The dance, as Nora had predicted, went horribly wrong. Bonnie, the witch Nora still thought was overconfident, had tried to do a locator spell to find Esther. When it didn't work they realized that she must be channeling something, meaning she was at the cemetery.

Nora was only happy Esther wasn't channeling her.

When the barrier spell was finally down, most likely due to the moon and not Bonnie, Klaus and Nora sped to the cemetery. Esther had been turning Alaric into another original, making him the ultimate vampire hunter. He was in transition now, though he didn't plan on following through.

Klaus walked over to Esther's body, lazily throwing her over his shoulder while Nora looked on longingly at the crypt. "You can say goodbye, love. Don't let me stop you," Klaus said softly.

Nora shook her head. "I know, it just..." she trailed off. Klaus seemed to have understood as he gave her a small smile, holding out his hand for her, and she took it.

| Reputation |

"Alaric Saltzman just tried to kill me," was the first thing Rebekah said when she stormed into the house.

Nora had been watching Klaus pack all his stuff, as they were supposed to be leaving town this morning. She still wasn't sure where she wanted to go, as Klaus said she could choose, because there weren't many places she hadn't been to.

"Alaric Saltzman is supposed to be dead," Klaus said calmly, seemingly unbothered by the fact that another original is running about. You'd think he'd be more scared, especially after the Mikael incidents.

"Well, he's not. He has a white oak stake that can't kill him. He's strong, Nik, too strong."

Nora perked up, "I'm strong too."

She was ignored.

"Where is he now?" Klaus asked.

"Stuck at the school without a daylight ring, but as soon as night falls, he'll come after us. We need to leave now."

Nora thought it was a great idea until she saw Klaus's face. "Fine," he agreed. "I'll collect Elena and we'll be on our way."

Nora fought the urge to be offended. He wanted hybrids for "a family" and she thought it was outrageous. She wasn't going to tell him that he couldn't do what he wanted, but he already had a family and has no need for a new one.

"Forget Elena," Rebekah snapped. "You don't need any more stupid hybrids."

"What I need is protection against Esther's continued assaults against us," Klaus corrected. Nora wasn't even going to begin on how wrong that statement was, but Rebekah had no shame.