29 - the end

Chapter Twenty-nine  ᴛʜᴇ ᴇɴᴅ

Chapter Twenty-nine 
ᴛʜᴇ ᴇɴᴅ

Nora almost crushed her phone when she heard the voicemail for the third time. Her own voice mocked her when her sister didn't answer the phone.

She tried Caroline's phone next.

"Hello?"

Nora sighed in relief, "Care, can I stay at your place tonight? I know it's late, but I'm kind of short on options."

"Yeah, of course," Caroline said. "Is everything alright with Klaus?"

"No, truthfully. But I'm on my way and I'll explain, okay?"

...

"He did not!" Caroline exclaimed, a livid expression on her face. "I'll murder him, immoral or not."

Nora leaned her head against the bed from her seat on the floor, looking up at the blonde. "Thanks. I've only ever had one friend who'd murder for me.  But if he's dead he would be able to drown in his regret, so we can't kill him. Give me a few years, then we'll reconsider."

Caroline laughed softly. "I am sorry, though. You didn't deserve that, at all. And I'm not going to tell you that you should've never been with Klaus, because lord knows I should've never been with Tyler, but he's an asshole. Okay? Don't cry over someone who used 'I love you' as a reason for you to stay."

"Well, I hadn't planned on it until he called me perfection and started reciting his proposal plans."

"He planned to propose!?"

| Reputation |

Rebekah found Klaus in the living room. His hair was wild, and the room was in great disarray.

She sighed, "It'd be great if you and Nora took your activities to your own bedroom. Where is she?"

"Gone," he stated bluntly, making it clear he was in no mood to talk.

She narrowed her eyes at the bottle of alcohol in his hands, "What do you mean gone?"

Klaus scowled at the floor, "As in she packed her bags and got away from me as quickly as possible. You know, at least I got a goodbye kiss, one last mock of my singleness." He stood, stumbling slightly to the window. "Does that answer your question?"

"It only evoked more. What happened, and where'd she go? We had plans!"

"I'm sure your plans still stand, you weren't the one to break her heart." He turned back to his sister with tears in his eyes as he faltered. "You should have seen her face, Bekah. She was so disgusted. I didn't mean to, sister, I swear. I don't know what I was thinking."