16. The Girl Who Came From Summerlands

"Every day, when you wake up, you will do this routine. I don't care how long it'll take you to get through it, you have to do it," Devan explained to me as he showed me a series of stretches followed by multiple exercises. He wrote down a whole list for me and pinned it to one of the pillars so that I remembered, while I was trying my hardest to replicate his moves. When he said everyday, he meant today as well, which made me cry inside a little. The stretches alone exhausted me enough. But I didn't dare say a word.

"As of tomorrow, we will start training your senses and practicing your shifts," he carried on while fixing my posture during push ups. I nodded, my face red and sweat dripping down my shirt. I had no idea what it meant, but if it was anything like what we were doing now, I was in for pure hell.

When I finished my what would be daily assignment for the foreseeable future, I went straight for the shower. The fact I had to heat the water first and then carry the bucket over made it nearly an impossible task, but Devan refused to allow Lucia to help me. I was less than five hours into my new training and I already wanted to curl up in a corner and cry. He wasn't joking when he said it'll hurt. But I said nothing as I carried the hot water into the bathroom and climbed into the shower. The hot water was a balsam on my sore body and I wished I could stay forever. But there was only so much before it ran out and I was forced to leave.

When I returned into the living area, dressed in a clean set of black leggings and turtleneck, which was basically my only attire, I found a note on the couch letting me know everyone was out for a few hours and a list of tasks I was assigned to do. With a sigh that was probably a bit more of a sob, I set to clean the kitchen and then to hand wash and hang my clothes. I didn't have much, thankfully. All I had were a few sets of underwear, socks, leggings, shirts and two sweaters. All given to me by Lucia and Demi shortly after I was brought here. It wasn't something fancy, but I didn't care. Having warm, clean clothes was a luxury I wasn't going to take for granted.

When I was done, all I could think of was sleep, but the clock only showed 5 pm. According to the note they left me, everyone would be back in about an hour for dinner and I knew if I went to sleep now, I wouldn't wake up and end up hungry in the middle of the night. I couldn't leave the house. I had no shoes or outside clothes. Not to mention I had no idea what I could possibly do outside. And the house gave me a sense of security. Safety I haven't felt since I left home. I didn't feel the need to leave. Not yet anyway. I was warm, safe and relatively comfortable.

So instead I climbed up the ladder up the half floor where everyone slept. As of today, even me. Now that I was healthy again and I agreed to stay with them, it was made clear to me, that I was to be an active member of the household. This included everything from the chores to sleeping arrangements. I was going to miss my spot on that couch. It wasn't the most comfortable, but it was the closest to a proper bed I had since Moonvalley. Still, I had no right to make demands. I was just grateful these people were willing to give me a chance. And sitting there now, atop of all those furs, it was actually quite cozy up there. I pulled my knees to my chest as I looked up towards the stars through the skylight above.

There was something so beautiful about those stars and the moon up high above on the clear night sky. We never had a view like this back in the Moonvalley. It fascinated me. For the first time since I came here, I had time to reflect on everything that happened to me. Subconsciously I began to hum a song, one of my favourites from back home as I tried to remember the happy times. My childhood, all those parties by the lake, camping in the woods, festivals in the streets. Pranks we pulled on each other at school, watching movies with mom and dad on Friday evening as we ordered a takeout. I missed it all so much. I'd give anything to go back. To have one more chance. To fix the mess I've made. But I couldn't.

I wondered how mom and dad were doing. Olivia and Sheyla. Colin and that stupid Lilian. Were they okay? Did they miss me? Did they move on? I wished I could let them know that I was still alive. That I made it here. That I was alright. Somewhat anyway. I wanted to hear their voices at least. Knowing that I'll never be able to speak to them, hug them again was killing me inside.

"So, you can't properly shift, you can't fight, you are smaller than a ten year old pup despite being nearly eighteen. You were clearly held prisoner because nobody else would have a scar from a silver collar like that. You have no mark which means you aren't a resident of any town, you don't even know your name," I heard Connor speak, which caused me to come back to the present. He was sitting on the edge of the sleeping area, one leg hanging casually in the air above the living room, staring directly at me, suspicion in his eyes.

Unlike the rest of the group, his face was almost intact. There were no visible scars, no tattoos either. He had an eyebrow piercing and with his short curly hair, he looked a bit like a rebellious teenager. He wasn't as tall as Devan or Nolan or even Demi. His shoulders were not as broad as the other two men either, he had more of a lean build. But there was an edge to him, which couldn't be so much seen as it was felt. Maybe it was because in the group he looked the weakest, maybe on his own he would be just as terrifying. But all my instincts screamed at me to never underestimate him. I subconsciously backed away from him, unsure of what he wanted me to say so I kept quiet.

"Who are you, Freya? Where are you really from? Don't think we didn't notice your interest in those tales. You looked like you've never seen that book before," he carried on. I squirmed under his intense gaze. What should I say? Just because they offered to take me in didn't mean they wouldn't take it back when I told them the truth about my origin. If Alexander was a villain of their story, were his people any different?

"The only answer I can think of is that you aren't from the North at all," he carried on, his eyes not leaving mine. And he clearly saw what he was looking for because his lips twisted into a scary smile. "I knew it!" he exclaimed victoriously. "You are a weakling from Summerlands, aren't you?" he asked teasingly.

"Yes," I swallowed hard, my reply nearly inaudible. He only laughed at my reaction.

"Seriously, is this what wolves are like over there? We only ever hear rumors, but seeing you here, you guys are more like domesticated dogs," he carried on laughing. "And nothing against dogs. They are cute. But also utterly harmless," he kept going. I just stared at him, unsure of what I should do or say, trying to judge what his words meant for me.

"You know, I thought you were completely useless. But you clearly did something over there for them to kick you out like this. And you made it across and survived here for months. Given your lack of any skills and abilities, that's quite impressive actually. Demi may have been onto something, when she said you'll be useful," he chuckled. Was he complimenting me just now?

"Ah, the rest is home, let's go eat. I hope one day you'll tell us what did you do that was so terrible they sent you to die here," he said, likely hearing everyone approaching the house outside. And then with a wink, he jumped off and headed for the front door, which opened wide and four people entered along with them a bunch of falling snowflakes the wind blew inside. They were in the middle of what seemed to be a heated discussion about fighting techniques, something that I found happened in this household almost daily. It often ended with a ceasefire when they no longer fought over the actual topic, but more about what would two missing members of the group think of it instead. Aaron and Az, the twin brothers I had yet to meet. I didn't know where they were, or when they would be back. But deep inside, I was dreading it. What if they didn't like me? Connor may have let off the hook about my past for now, but what if it came back later?

***

Hi everyone! I'm back with another double chapter post. I really wish I could post more often, but right now and for the next two more weeks, I'm unable to do so. After that however, I'd like to go back to my previous pace of two chapters weekly. This book is nearly finished on my file and I have enough stuff to write a sequel as well, so I'm hoping whoever is reading this will stick with me and our heroine for the journey. 

If you're reading this, please consider leaving a vote or a comment. It really helps me to know that someone out there is enjoying my story even if it's just one person. Thank you.

-Manon