56. The General

The way down the mountain was significantly easier than the way up. Mostly because the other side was nowhere near as steep and partially covered in snow so it was easier to find my footing. We ended up finding shelter right under and as the exhaustion carried us into sleep, we were all well aware of the fact that tomorrow was our last day of the long journey to Midnight City.

I was anxious to say the least as we ran towards our destination the next day. We may have survived this whole journey, but that hardly meant we were safe. I had no idea what kind of tests I had to pass in order to make to the army. And assuming I did pass, what after that? Did that mean my life would be a constant battle? Was there going to be a time when I could leave and do some other job? Build a life of my own? If I even lived that long.

When I was a kid, being a soldier was never something I thought of. Not only did we have no need for them in Moonvalley, I also lacked the discipline for such a thing. My dream was to be Luna by Colin's side. The pretty face of our pack who ran charities and took care of her people. But the cold wind of Winterlands turned that dream into ice. And it seemed to do the same to my temper. It was like I left both somewhere in the tunnels of Duskfall and all I got left was a sense of self preservation and desire to survive, which was simply stronger than any reckless emotion I used to be controlled by.

Learning to control my abilities, becoming one with my wolf, those things helped too. It was easier to keep hold of my emotions and impulses. To focus on things and see stuff clearly. Literally and figuratively. I still wasn't perfect at it. I was well aware of the fact that there was still a lot I had to learn. But I knew now, that by accepting myself for who I was, predator and all, it was the only way to make it through. Acting on impulses would only get me killed here.

"We're almost there, let's find a place to shift and change," Aaron suggested and we all obeyed.

"Are you excited to return home?" I asked the twins while putting my cloak on. I wondered what it must have felt like to return. A feeling I'd likely never know for myself, since I gave up that chance by coming here with them all.

"Home's not really a place. It's the people," Az shrugged like he could care less. I wasn't really sure what he meant by that, but considering his tone, I decided not to ask any further.

"Let's go. I don't know how about you, but I have been dreaming about taking a hot shower for days now," Demi whined, pushing us all forward towards Midnight City.

While we passed by multiple settlements on our way here, none of them could possibly match the capital. That's what I was told at least. Yet as we approached I couldn't really see any of it. I was about to ask if we weren't lost, when Az grabbed my hand out of nowhere. The twins did this with all of us and the moment they did a wall of obsidian began to appear in front of us. It was almost as tall as the mountain we climbed only a day ago, but this one was clearly built by men. And most importantly it had a gate. A massive gate with a North Star symbol on it. The Midnight City Military outpost and our new home. Hopefully.

We all came to a halt good twenty steps away and there we silently stood. I had no idea why, but I did as everyone else, feeling like this was one of those very rare occasions where 'act first and ask questions later' applied and I was right. The next thing I knew, the gate opened with a loud creak and there stood a man. He wore black leathers like we did but his were clearly much higher quality and had the same North Star symbol on the chest. Before I could ask, the man crossed the distance between us and stared directly at the twins who stood in the middle of our group like statues.

"Look who decided to finally show up. What's it been? Two years? Three? I was seriously starting to think you two actually managed to piss someone off enough to kill you," he spoke, his left eye focused on Az and Aaron, his expression cold like the air that surrounded us. His right eye was either missing or injured for he had it hidden under a patch and there was an ugly scar running right across it. He was very tall and imposing, definitely a high rank. And he definitely knew the twins. In fact, looking at their features, dark hair, brown eye, they were likely related.

"Nice to see you too, uncle," Aaron snickered. Clearly whatever authority this man, their uncle had, they didn't really care for.

"So, why are you here exactly? I don't suppose you just came to have tea with your unbearable mother," the uncle asked them. None of us dared to speak as we watched the exchange unfold, but I could tell by the way Nolan held my hand, he was nervous about this too. Just like twins, this man gave away very little of what he thought or how he felt. Could he turn us away? Especially if the twins were hostile.

"We're here to seek refuge," Az spoke before Aaron could say anything. Their uncle narrowed an eyebrow at them before looking at the remaining six of us as if he only now noticed we were there.

"Refuge, huh?" he smirked as he looked us up and down one by one.

"Duskfall has fallen. We have nowhere else to stay," Az carried on. There was nothing in his voice. No hint of emotion. Meanwhile their uncle stopped right in front of me, examining me like he did to all the others. He gave Az a strange but brief look before he returned his attention to me. I stood there frozen, trying my best to calm my racing heart. I should have asked them about this. I had no idea what was expected of me in this situation. What if I messed up?

"How unfortunate. Well, I can't deny refugees from a fallen city, can I?" he was now pacing from one side to the other.

"Okay, you know the rules. The six of them must pass the tests within a year if they wish to stay. They won't get any favors for simply knowing you," he said after what seemed like forever and somehow I felt both relieved and terrified in a way I had no idea was possible.

"Wouldn't dare ask," Aaron said. He was the only one who seemed to find this whole situation somehow amusing. Or at least he sounded like it.

"I had hoped years in the wilderness would change you, but I see there are simply things even staring death in the face won't accomplish," the man shook his head before turning back to us all.

"You look like a capable group. Stay in line, do what you're told and we won't have a problem. But let me warn you, I expect nothing less than greatness from my troops. You will be no exception," he looked at the six of us.

My friends all nodded and so I followed the suit, all of us still silent.

"Good, now go clean yourselves up, the stench is awful," he said as his parting words and without waiting on us, he led the way inside the gate. Wordlessly we all followed. 

***

So, welcome to Midnight City? I guess? And twins have an uncle... what are your thoughts?

-Manon