25. Unexpected?

"Devan, you can't be serious. This is absolutely ridiculous," I mumbled as I stood straight against one of the basement pillars and he was carving a dent in it just above my head. I felt like a kid again, when my parents measured how much I've grown every year. This was literally the same, except we did it every week and it really was ridiculous every time.

"You say that, but look," he replied, unphased as usual. One day I would figure him out. I just had to or I would go crazy. Right now, I just did as he asked. The dent was higher than last week, and the week before.

"I didn't think I could grow any taller," I said in awe. Back at home, the doctor said that that was it when I was just fifteen. I wasn't exactly short compared to the Moonvalley standards, but that meant nothing here. Over here everyone seemed like a giant compared to me.

"You have another half a year or so of growth in you. It won't be much on your human side, but your wolf form will likely grow significantly. It already does," he pointed on another set of dents which he'd do during my shifts. While in my human form, the difference was maybe two, almost three inches, for my wolf form it was nearly ten.

"How's that even possible?!" I asked in shock. I haven't seen myself in my wolf form since the day I first shifted here. I was just a regular sized wolf in Summerlands. We didn't grow much past the size of an ordinary animal wolf. When I first saw Devan in the tunnels, he was at least two times bigger than me. Ten inches weren't anywhere near enough to make up the difference, but it was still a massive step.

"The fact that you are now connected to your wolf side along with those vitamins I gave you. You still won't be able to fully catch up, your growth was suppressed for far too long. But it should still do the job. Besides, you being smaller is probably good for a thief," he explained, while I was tracing the small dents with my fingers.

"Ready to fight?!" Nolan passed on the stairs and landed right behind me instead. Thankfully he didn't exactly try to hide his approach so I could hear him long before he even jumped. I was no longer as easy to scare as I used to be. Another almost a month has passed now and I was getting the hang of my senses. It was still far from perfect, but I was improving. I could focus easier now and I would target the right sounds and smells. It was recognizing when to switch to a different one based on the danger, which I now needed to figure out. My speed also increased.

"Yes, sir," I replied cheerfully as I climbed into the ring with Nolan in tow. It was our little routine now, everyday, after I finished my workout and practice with Devan, I'd go for two more hours with Nolan. When I started this journey nearly three months ago, I couldn't imagine lasting longer than the initial workout, now I spent six hours a day in the basement gym.

"Freya, Solstice is in three weeks. I think it'll be just the right time to test your skills on a hunt," Devan said as a parting note and left the basement, likely to get some lunch and head into town with Az and Aaron as they did nearly daily. I only nodded in his direction, feeling nervous at his words. Hunt. I've never hunted before in my life. And yes, Devan was teaching me all the theory I needed for it but there was still the thought of actually having to do it. Of having to kill. Even when I was starving in the tunnels, I would ever only scavenge and bring in already dead rats. Could I kill another living being? Did I really have a choice?

"Okay, let's do this," I said, pushing the thoughts of what was to come in three weeks to the back of my mind. If Nolan noticed my nervosity, he said nothing though. Instead he motioned for me to go at him. And I did. Using what Nolan taught me about my growing strength and speed, I pushed off the ground and literally jumped at him. I knew I'd end up on the ground by then, but that didn't bother me as much. Tiny as I was, I couldn't compete with a mountain like Nolan by direct hit. That was my first lesson in our sessions. I was still much smaller and weaker than him. And even though I was getting stronger everyday, my size would always be my disadvantage unless I learnt to turn it around.

Once on the ground, I dodged his hits and tried to catch him off guard by kicking his feet from underneath him. It was something we've practiced but I couldn't quite manage. Until today. Next thing I knew was Nolan on the ground and I didn't want to miss my chance since I had it for once. So before he could gather his wits, I was on top of him, my fingers on the pressure point on his neck. I had a victorious smile on my face while he was looking at me, amused.

"You know, if you wanted to get on top of me, all you had to do was ask," he gave me a wink, completely throwing me off with his stupid remark and used my surprise to flip us over.

"Nolan, you jerk!" I hissed, hitting his chest.

"Never let you guard down, little one. Who knows who may get you if you do," he replied, clearly having a grand time.

"You've proved your point, now get off me. You're heavy," I mumbled.

"What if I won't?" he teased.

"Nolan stop," I replied, trying to push him off again, before looking into those stormy eyes surrounded by black ink. And just like that, suddenly I forgot what was it I wanted him to do.

"Stop what?" he spoke, suddenly serious. I looked on his lips and then back into his eyes as he was inching closer and closer. Whatever response I had, it was long forgotten as our lips clashed together in a fight of their own. A very passionate one, where we were both the winners.

"That was..." he began when we broke apart, gasping for air.

"Unexpected?" I asked as he rolled off me to the side, his arm still firmly around me as he brought me closer.

"You think so? I was gonna go with long overdue," he stated as we lied there in silence, his fingers tracing small circles on my back. Looking back, he was right. Ever since he tattooed my arm, we began to talk more. He brought out the bold side of me. I enjoyed our little tease conversations and banter during fight practice. But did I actually consider it going anywhere but friendship? I didn't know. What I did know was that I felt really comfortable and safe lying on the floor in his arms. And that whatever this was, I didn't want to ruin it by asking for clarification out loud.

***

Time for a little romance! What do you guys think? Do Freya and Nolan make a good couple? If not, who do you think she'd be better with instead?