57. The Military Outpost

"Heaven," Lucia sighed as she plopped herself on a bottom bunk, her red hair still wet from the shower. We were given two days to get acclimated in our new surroundings before our training formally began. The twins apparently had a choice to go live in the city already but decided to stay with us instead, which was good because it meant we had the whole room to ourselves. This meant our own bathroom and also a bedroom consisting of four bunk beds. It wasn't anything luxurious by any stretch. The rooms were old and clearly only looked after enough to keep them functional. It lacked the cozy feel of our house back in Duskfall. But there was a central heating much to my surprise and we had a place to sleep and a roof over our heads, something I learned the hard way to never take for granted.

"When we pass the tests and get a solid place in the city, that will be heaven, Luc. This is just a means to an end," Demi chuckled. She was lying on the bed next to her mate, her eyes closed while she relaxed. Connecting two beds together was our first course of action. That way Demi could sleep next to Lucia and Nolan and I could do the same right above them. It was the best we could make of our current situation.

"Whatever, wake me up in two days," Lucia mumbled into her pillow. And lying on Nolan's chest right above them, I shared the sentiment. He was now sound asleep, his arm firmly around me, bringing me much needed comfort as I slowly began to drift off as well. We had an exhausting journey behind us and everyone was tired and aching. After the events of the last few weeks, we all needed at least one day where we didn't have to worry about anything. At least it certainly felt that way.

But that hardly meant the tough parts were over. In two days, our training was set to begin. The structure itself was very individual, which I liked. It meant I wouldn't get to face other trainees all that often. Yes, the wake up call was the same for everyone. So were the meal times and curfew when lights went off every night and quiet was expected. But other than that, we were left to decide for ourselves what we needed to do. We were given a sheet with requirements we'd have to meet to be able to pass the tests and how we met those requirements, what we did to reach them, that was up to us. There were counselors we could seek out for advice and coaches we could ask for, but getting where we needed to be was our own responsibility.

For me, the plan was cut out crystal clear. I was to spend my days with Az, occasionally sparring with the rest of the group or other trainees to compare the progress. Nolan, while not the jealous type, didn't seem very ecstatic about the idea, especially when it concerned his best friend, but there wasn't really any other way and Az insisted. Which I found was something really hard to argue with. He wasn't exactly the one to back down, even when he was face to face with Nolan. When I stood between the two giants earlier, trying to diffuse the potential conflict, I felt like an insect. Even now, when I was considerably taller, bigger built, than when I first met them, I still barely reached their shoulders. Thankfully they just exchanged a very tense stare and then shook hands and that was it. It was weird, but I didn't comment on it. I was just happy to still have both my boyfriend and my coach.

"Nolan? Why don't rogues do this too? Try and join the army I mean. Wouldn't it be easier for them?" I asked hours later when we all woke up from our sleep. Lights were off which meant it was too early for a wake up call still, so we all remained in our beds, just lying down, letting our bodies get as much rest as possible.

"Some tried, that's why they're rogues. Some are too weak to even attempt it. Some don't have the means to cross the mountains and reach any of the strongholds without dying. And some, as hard as it is to believe, don't want to," he replied while I was tracing small circles on his tattooed chest with my finger.

"Oh." It didn't occur to me how lucky we probably were. We weren't rich back in Duskfall. Not by any means. But we trained everyday to be strong for our way of life. And we also had just enough to afford good food and good gear. When we decided to cross the Winterlands and go here, we had the ability to. The rogues from that side of the mountains would be at much greater risk of dying on the journey. But my mind also went to those who did try. And that's why they were out there, homeless in the freezing cold. That's what Nolan warned me about. Why he wanted me to go back South. Because he feared I wasn't strong enough and I could end up out there too. I shuddered at the thought. I couldn't survive as a rogue. I did that for a few weeks and nearly died. I wasn't going to do that ever again. Whatever I did, I had to get in. I simply had to.

"Once we get settled in the city, I'll get a new tattoo gun and cover the rest of these for you," he said, frowning as he looked at the scar around my left wrist.

"I'd like that," I smiled at him. I told him I was considering it after he covered my right wrist in winter roses. While I tried not to think of them much, I hated my scars. Not so much for how they looked, but for what they reminded me of. Especially those left by the silver shackles of Moonvalley dungeons were heavy on my mind whenever I saw myself in the mirror. A constant reminder that I was branded a criminal for a teenage mistake. Nolan returned my smile before placing a butterfly kiss on top of my forehead.

I closed my eyes once again, subconsciously searching for the scent of damp stones and summer rain. I didn't know why just like I didn't know where it came from, but once I caught it, I was content. Happy even. It felt so right. Like I belonged. Like I was home. I may not have known the source still, but I didn't even care. It was there. Wherever it came from, it followed us from Duskfall all the way here and that's all I needed to know in that moment.

We all woke up a few hours later for the breakfast call. Just like with our sleeping quarters, even the dining area and the food itself clearly showed that it's sole purpose was to keep us alive until it was decided whether we are worth becoming Midnight City residents or not. The whole outpost complex gave me very prison-like vibes. There was nothing out here aside from that tall obsidian wall, the complex we lived in and a lot of snow. It was very quiet out here, too. People seemed to be largely keeping to themselves and their little groups if they had any. It was clear to me that we likely weren't going to make any new friends and I was eternally grateful for the fact that I already had my own group. There was no way I could make it in such a hostile environment on my own.

The complex we were staying in consisted of three large square shaped buildings, each with at least five floors, all of them connected via bridge-like structures. First building was where everyone slept, divided into the same rooms for eight people just like we had. Second building had amenities such as kitchens, dining hall, a small hospital wing, library and something you could call a common room with some board games. Third building was a training centre. There were a bunch of gyms, a few fighting rings as well as a swimming pool, which was just as old and rundown as the rest of the stuff here, but still made me very happy to see. I haven't been able to swim since Moonvalley and I missed it. Even though I gave up competitive swimming years ago, it was still my passion. I looked forward to doing it again assuming Az would let me.

But aside from the basics, there was nothing else here. No shops, no bars or any kind of places we could go to to escape our daily routines or buy new clothes or snacks. Upon arrival we were given a few sets of workout clothes, two towels and some toiletries and that was it. At least we were allowed to keep whatever belongings we already had with us aside from physical weapons which were locked away until we either passed or failed our tests. To prevent any accidents they called it. But we all knew what they meant. It was easy to see how competitive the environment was. Just because everyone had the right to seek refuge this way didn't mean they would just let everyone in. Only the best of the best made it through. I had a feeling that many of those around us were willing to go to any lengths if it meant eliminating the competition.