An Amazing Leader, and For What?

song: revenge by xxxtentacion

Faith is a funny thing. It depends fully on absolutely nothing and everything all at once. You must jump into the unknown to retrieve the unsure future that may or may not happen. So, when a rope to peace is thrown from above, you take it in your hands.

You grip it tight so that you don't fall into the oblivion that lies beneath you. You rise closer to the unsure future with every leap of faith and steps taken.

As the sunlight filters through the tree tops, I feel a grace fill up my insides. I'm at peace at what may or may not happen. If peace is to be given, I will throw my life on the wire for it, but, if it isn't, then I will die trying to save my people.

I take in a deep breath of fresh air before glancing to my left, sensing a gaze on the side of my face. My eyes meet with his brown ones. Water on honey. One sinks and one drowns. I close my eyes, willing myself to look away.

I will not drown.

I glance back at Bellamy's brown eyes, needing the confidence that I am lacking in the moment. I barely see him nod through the foliage, but I do and it's enough.

I heave in a breath, calming my mind and heart before Finn grabs my hand.

"It'll be okay, Hails." He comforts, his voice drifting in the morning air. I press my lips together and nod, trying to find my voice. "Come on." He begins to walk forward towards a bridge.

I pause, taking in another breath before raising my chin and squaring my shoulders. I cannot be weak.

My face is stone cold as I walk next to Finn. My eyes flicker around before they land on Miloch, who is next to the grounder that we imprisoned. In a flash, Octavia collides into the grounder.

"Miloch?" My eyes narrow, confused. I ignore Octavia for the moment, there are more important matters.

He smiles at my face, amused, before he puts his arm forward, offering a handshake. I meet him halfway, grasping his forearm.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, glancing between the two grounders. "Also, I still don't know your name." I press my lips together, staring at the mystery grounder.

His lips tilt up in a smile before offering me his forearm. I take it. "Lincoln." He dips his head.

My lips part and I glance at Miloch. "This is Lincoln?" He nods. I glance back at him and smile. "It's nice to talk to you on better terms." I offer a small smile.

He nods. "Hopefully better after this meeting." He murmurs, glancing towards the other end of the bridge. "Thank you." He says, glancing down at me.

My eyebrows furrow. "For what?"

He smiles lightly. "For everything." He says and I know exactly what he means.

The night he was captured flashes through my mind in a painful set of images. I force them away. I cannot be weak.