My Icy Heart! It's Melting!

song for this chapter: war of hearts - acoustic by ruelle

WHEN MY MOTHER USED TO TELL ME STORIES, she would tell me stories of creatures that could run up to 100mph or let out a sound that could be mistaken for a band of trumpets. What she never told me was that earth could be scary and beautiful all in one. She never covered that the people here were ferocious, but we didn't know that yet. All we knew was that Jasper had been speared and that he was likely dead. I, however, refused to believe as such. Granted I didn't know him that well, but I did know that we'd have a hard time getting rid of him, so now would be no different. All we knew was that he had been hit with a spear. After we saw the events unfold, we ran.

The only sounds that I can hear are the sounds of our heavy breathing as we run. "Clarke! Come on!" Finn yelled out for her. I hadn't even known she had stopped.

    "Clarke, we have to go. Come on." I plead with her. She shakes her head in response.

    "Monty, come on!" Octavia yells at Monty who stopped to help Clarke.

    "We've got to go, Clarke." Finn tries to persuade her.

    Monty goes to walk over to Octavia but he trips and falls over what I thought, at first, to be twigs or sticks. It turns out to be bones. Human bones.

"Monty, get up!" Octavia pleads with him.

I bend down and pick up one of the skulls. I inspect it. my eyebrows furrow when I see the facial shape. If anything it looked prehistoric. I swallow and drop the skull.

    Finn picks up the skull and asks, "Who are they?"

    I correct him, "What are they?" I take the skull from his hand and toss it back to the ground. "We need to leave, now. When Mil- the grounder" I correct myself, "saved me from the other man that tried to attack me, he said something. He said, 'We have spies everywhere.'"

    Finn looks at me, "That's what you said when we saw Jasper get speared."

    I nod, "Which is all the more reason that we need to leave because they could be watching us right now." With everyone following behind me, I then take off running in the direction of the camp. We all skid to a halt when we hear screaming.

I recognise it immediately, "Jasper. He's alive." I say, taking off running back in the direction of the river. I can hear the others shouting behind me, but I don't stop. I was about to break out of the tree line when Finn pulls me back.

    "He's gone."

    I shake my head grimly, "No, they took him."

    After we realise what we are up against, we take off running back to the dropship, but faster than before. Once we make it to the clearing outside the ship, we hear yelling and chanting. I run in first, then I'm followed by Clarke and the others.