What an Unlikely Pear

song: shallow preachers by zella day

My eyes trail down Murphy's hands, my face contorting when I count up all of his injuries.

"Jesus, Murphy." I murmur, dropping his hand and sitting back on my knees.

"Yeah, me and the grounders got to know each other pretty well." He humourlessly chuckles. He sniffs and looks away, trying to look at anything but my face, which, I assume, he thinks is filled with pity.

"I don't pity you." I say after a moment. His face falls into an angered expression before I realise how its sounds "Sorry." I sigh, closing my eyes. "What I meant is, is that you don't need my pity or anyone else's because you'll make it through this." I affirm with a nod.

I see his eyebrows crease and he goes to speak but a sputtered cough and yelling echoes from the clearing. Without saying anything, I stand and cross over to the entrance of the dropship.

"Clarke!" I yell out when I see her. She turns around and my face falls. Down her face, trailing from her eyes, is blood. "Oh my god." I utter before crossing over to her.

She stumbles, trying to get away from me. "No. Get way, Hailey." She tries to say forcefully but it comes out as a barely a whisper.

"What the hell is happening here?" I hear Bellamy's voice come from behind me as he approaches.

I turn and shake my head, not knowing what is going on. I turn to Clarke and she provides the answer.

"Connor dropped less than a minute ago from the coughing fit I'm assuming you heard." She says.

My eyebrows furrow. "Dropped?"

"He's dead." Raven finalises.

My face falls in disbelief. "What? How?" I glance from Clarke to Bellamy. "What is happening here?" My brain rattles for an answer before one pops into my head. "It's a virus," my face goes slack. "One introduced to us by something new." I tilt my head and look up at Bellamy. "Or someone."

"Are you saying that Murphy did this?" Clarke accuses.

I shrug. "I don't know, but I do know that Clarke was one of the people to touch him, as was I, but the first person to was Connor."

"Bellamy, Raven, back up. We need to stop this before it spreads to everyone." Clarke orders, dragging me with her back to the dropship.

"What? No, Hailey's not sick, Clarke." Bellamy protests, going to grab me, but I throw my hands up to stop him from grabbing me.

"No, but chances are that I will be within the hour." I deadpan before turning around and heading into the dropship.

"Hailey!" I hear someone yell from my right. I turn and I see Elliot running to me.

"No! Stop." I throw my hands up when he around 10 feet away. "Don't come any closer, you could get sick."

He furrows his eyebrows. "What is going on? Are you okay?" He creeps closer.

"No! Elliot, dammit!" I yell at him as he gets closer. "Stay away, we need to keep this virus contained."

His face falls slack as he glances from Clarke's dishevelled states to my pale face. "Is it..." He swallows and looks away. "Is it curable?"

I look away, "I don't know, which is why you need to stay away." I murmur, looking back at him. "I can't have you getting sick too."

"You need to rest, Hails." A new voice says from a little far off. My eyes flick to Bellamy's somber one. "Go, I'll run things for a while."

I try to smile, but it probably looks like a grimace. My head is already pounding. "Will do, Bell." I chuckle before stumbling into the dropship.

"Murphy, hey, look at me." I see Clarke crouched in front of a sluggish and bloodied Murphy. "I need you to tell me exactly how you escaped from the Grounders. What happened?"

I stumble on my feet and barely catch myself on the ladder.

"I don't know. I woke up, and they forgot to lock my cage. There was no one there, so I took off."

A thick and dry scoff echoes out of my mouth. "They let you go, Murph." I breath out, trying to stay conscious.

I see Clarke's eyes dart to my nose. "Hailey..." She trails off.

My shoulders slump forward as I reach up and wipe at the bottom of my nose. I bring my hand back and it's coated in a thick red substance.

"I'll be fine." I grit out, wiping the blood on my pants.

"Bellamy." Clarke says, but I focus on my breathing coming in and out, until suddenly it doesn't.

My chest heaves with effort as I bend over and vomit up blood. I groan in pain as I fight to stand.

"Hailey!" I see Bellamy begin to rush over to me, but I numbly shake my head.

"No." I mumble with half-open eyes. "I'm fine, stay away." From the little vision that I have, I can see his face ignite with anger as he glances from me to Murphy.

"Is this your revenge, helping the Grounders kill us?" He yells at Murphy.

"I didn't know about this, okay, I swear." Murphy says, his voice scratchy from the blood.

My vision swirls as I slump down the ladder. I lean my back against the ladder as I sit, no longer caring about the conversation.

I fade in and out of consciousness, so I only get bits and pieces of their conversation.

"Look at her, Clarke!"

"She'll be fine."

"How do you know? This is a completely new thing for all of us."

"Bellamy, I promise that I will do everything possible on this earth to keep her alive."

It's silent for a moment. I assume he's looking at my paling form.

"When she wakes up or anything happens, send someone to get me." He says before leaving the dropship.

My mind is foggy but the last words I hear before I slip out of consciousness are from Clarke.

"Who would have thought." She chuckles. "Hailey and Bellamy."

-----------

A/N

okay ummmm WHAT THE CRAP????

we're at 4.6k reads uhhhh

THANK YOU SO FRIGGIN MUCH GUYS

I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH

now, please, have a drink, eat something

I love you,

Abigail