44

When Kenma said the air was awkward when they walked to the gym.

It wasn't exactly awkward. More like one boy was dying inside (Hinata) and the other one was still processing (Kenma).

Hinata had instantly jerked away when he realized what he'd done. Now he was quiet, but you could he was screaming by looking at his face. Kenma saw the gym ahead. He hoped that playing volleyball would calm the younger boy down.

The doors were unusually loud. Multiple people were still in the gym. Kageyama, Yachi, Asashi, and Dachi. Quickly they all gave confused looks, except blueberry boy.

"Why is Nekoma's setter here?" Daichi asked, giving Kenma a glare. Instinctively the setter glared back. The atmosphere instantly became hostile between the two.

Hinata was quick to explain. He was good at switching his moods. "He's here to toss to me! I told you guys yesterday, remember?"

Kageyama snorted. "I still don't see why you want that lazy setter to toss to you. Me and Suga are good enough," he muttered.

"Maybe it's because he doesn't want someone talking shit about him, or maybe it feels weird being tosses to by an egg head," Kenma cooed. Kageyama's head instantly snapped up. Kenma gave him a cold look. He never liked Karasuno's setter.

"Says the boy who looks like he's sleep deprived," Kageyama snapped back.

"At least I don't sleep on my feet."

Kageyama looked confused. "That's not even a good insult-"

"E.N.O.U.G.H." Daichi interrupted, sliding each word from closed teeth. Instantly Kageyama shut up. Kenma wished he could play his switch, instead of standing around, and being questioned. Daichi sighed. "Alright. As long as he doesn't cause problems."

Hinata smiled. "Great!" he cheered. He slid past Kageyama, sticking his tongue out in the process.

"Try to stay away from our setter," Asashi said. He looked weirdly anxious. But he handed Kenma a volleyball.

The Nekoma setter dragged himself to a place where he could toss without the idiot bothering him. Hinata swayed impatiently. Taking a deep breath, Kenma narrowed his eyes. Setting always took too much energy.

Soon he coded the best toss and speed, as if he was scanning the landscape of a video game. Hinata hit it squarely. Kenma smirked when Kageyama clicked his teeth.

"That was great! Can you toss again?" Hinata cheerfully asked. The event seemed to have been erased from his mind. He now grinning sincerely.

"Sure," Kenma said. He always said yes anyway.

The door sliding open caught Hinata's attention. The second manager was panting. "Yachi! I forgot to suggest something for the...papers...," she panted. But she stopped when she saw Kenma.

They locked eyes for a moment. 

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

"Tossing to him," Kenma said, nodding toward Hinata. Kiyoko let out a "oooooooo" sound. Then she raised an eyebrow.

"You two give me vibes that you're dating."