XLV : The Vampire vs The Witch

The two locked eyes steadily, standing knee deep in silence as they walked further into the clearing for their own fighting space. There were no words shared between them, as Edward looked determined to be the one who sparred with her.

Perhaps it was due to Emmett's size or strength, or perhaps, it was because Edward wasn't planning on truly fighting with her at all. Regardless, she had asked for this. And Edward was the one who wanted to step up to the plate.

As they walked together, Edward turned to look over to where the wolves were watching. They had been growling in protest as Gwen had first raised an interest in training as well. No doubt, they purely saw a short teenaged girl trying to fight in the league with vampires and werewolves.

"You have some admirers, Duchess. They're trying hard to fight through Sam's orders to remain in place. If they had their way, they would be the ones challenging me."

"What are they telling you?" Gwen asked, as she raised a perfectly arched eyebrow in their direction.

Edward rolled his eyes as he looked back in the wolves direction, "Typical teenaged boys."

"What?"

"One of them is admiring something about your pants--"

"Are you going to fight or just stand around?!" Emmett called, raising his hand in suspense, as Gwen and Edward had made it to their part of the clearing.

The raven-haired woman nodded as she walked farther away from Edward, turning back to him as she noticed a worried look in his eye. It was then she knew, his intentions were to not harm her. But she didn't want that. She didn't want to be protected. She wanted to learn.

"Don't go easy on me" Gwen warned, as she pulled out her wand.

"Start!" Emmett called, his laughter booming throughout the clearing.

Gwen didn't move at first. She hung back, waiting for Edward to act first. She had seen their speed. She knew Edward's speed firsthand from when they had first met in Seattle. And she was ready for it.

For a moment, they just circled each other, eyes trained on one another. The golden eyes locked onto the brown, and the brown into the gold. There was so much emotion in both of their eyes, as Gwen could still see the remnants of sadness in his.

Gwen had no idea what he saw in her own; maybe resentment or anger. Maybe a little bit of sadness. But regardless, she was there to fight him and only fight. Nothing less and nothing more.

She was waiting for him to make the first attack, but Edward was waiting for something else. A weakness to zero in on, an opening of which to take advantage.

He knew her magic. He had seen it first hand. She knew he would be cautious.

Figuring she could fake him out, she pretended to misstep, slowing down for a split second. Edward attacked at once at lightning speed, aiming to push her down gently, but Gwen, having expected it, raised her wand as she petrified him instantly with a nonverbal spell, grabbing onto Edward's arms to flip him over like she had done to the wolves.

However, there was no movement as she realized he was a lot heavier than a teenaged boy and immediately swung her wand to send him slamming onto the ground.

Emmett clapped and cheered loudly, as Rosalie sniggered.

The raven-haired woman smirked as she said, "Then one of the wolves or Cullens comes for him, and I light the fire. Done and done."

"Done and done" Rosalie smiled her beautiful perfect smile, as she walked to Gwen's side and looked down to Edward with a smirk. "Who says you shouldn't join us out there? We would be done within five minutes."