Chapter 35

*****Tempest***

I feel like I woke up to hell.
Literal hell.

"How could you be so reckless? How could you involve yourself with THE Italian Mafia? THE Romano Italian Mafia?" My grandfather sits beside my hospital bed, trying his best not to appear as upset as he feels.

"I cannot disclose any reason. Not anymore," I say, remembering the conversation I had with the man that held me hostage. the threatening remark as to keeping this whole scandalous matter a secret.

Gramps sighs, "Yes, I understand that. Even Frank wouldn't tell me anything, which I should fire him for, honestly. However, I hope you understand," he doesn't look at me when he says this. something is terrifying about him looking defeated, "I hope you understand... this isn't something I can protect you from, Evangeline. I say this with heaviness in my heart, but I cannot break rules and try to get you out of the mess you created,"

And just like that.
I truly am all alone again. It's a slap in the face really. A reality call. An alarm to wake me up from the la-la land I have created. I fucked up. Because of me, I am putting my grandfather in a tough position, where his life is in danger. Frank being an accomplice to my interests is in danger. Olivia's life was and probably is still in danger. My "relationship" with Malachi is compromised, and now he is in danger... well he was always in danger thanks to his father.

But now, I am the center of everyone's world. One false move and they all become targets. and it's all my fault. greed. selfishness. carelessness. curiosity. everything got to the best of me, and I wanted too much.
Now I am paying the price, with everyone's life in my hands.

"Frank," I say, and I look at him realizing how tired he must be, standing in the corner while staring off into space. I realize much I have already put him through, and how I can't bear to be the reason that his life in danger. He is a father, and I can't have his daughter grow up without him.

"Yes, Miss Moore," he straightens up.

"Cancel the dinner I was planning and send out a card to everyone to notify them. Cancel the trip to Italy, and let the men who were involved in Fernandez's killing go," my grandfather turns to me, confused. I take a deep breath, "Please, make sure Olivia is well and help me arrange something for her, as well as her family. I would like to apologize for having her involved in all of this,"

"Yes, Ma'am. Anything else?" he asks, about to head out and make the calls.

I nod.
"I would like to request a new bodyguard," I swallow the lump in my throat.

His eyes widen.

"Tempest," my grandfather says, "What are you doing? You can't fire Frank-"

"I said I want a new bodyguard, and it's my final decision. effective immediately," I pry my eyes off of Frank's horrified face before he nods and walks out.

"What are you doing? What's going through your head right now?" Gramps asks, taking my hand in his. His eyes scatter over my fresh tattoos and he smiles slightly. "I leave for barely a week and you cause mass chaos and still have time for some tattoos. unbelievable,"

I would smile.
But there is nothing to smile about.
"If it isn't too much to ask, I would like to get discharged by morning," I pull my hand away, "I rather rest at home. Hospitals are very depressing,"

We sit in silence.
I focus on the rhythm of the heart monitor and the A/C that hums to life. The fluorescent lights are hurting my eyes. I want to go back to sleep but even then I am terrified. I am absolutely terrified.

I have been humbled.
Reminded I am only eighteen.
I am not as experienced and I have no right to pride of other people's lives.

My grandfather agrees to help me get out of here. He also tells me how tightly secured I will be for the next couple of weeks, guards working 24/7 to keep me protected. I didn't know what to say to that, but I expected it. I wasn't going to go unpunished.